The Sting

• December 12Spring semester seminars is now open! Register through the new TAG website.

• December 12Finals week is next week! Study hard and end the semester on a great note!

• December 12Help the AVID 10 class collect donations for charities from Dec. 4th-14th in E111!

• December 3Be Smart - Restart! Remember to restart your surface tablets today!

• November 28December 14th- Roswell's annual Powder Puff game! Show out!

Children are now being defined as “feral”

Back to Article
Back to Article

The community in which a child grows up in can affect their personality and the person they become. Photo Credit: Maham Rizwan

Maham Rizwan, Staff Writer

Humans are characterized as sociable beings that are capable of empathy, self aware and able to express oneself. What happens when a person who is physically human, is also emotionally animalistic. These types of children are defined as “feral children”. The earliest recorded case of zoanthropy – humans living with animals – dates back to the 1800’s in France. A child named Victor was found and given to Jean Marc Gaspard Itard who was a physician. Victor had been taken from the wild and placed in civilization eight times before he stayed with Dr. Itard. The goal was to track Victor’s progression of being submerged into civilization. He was reluctant at first, but Dr. Itard and his housemaid eventually taught Victor empathy and human emotion. He learned how to express himself as humans do and not as an animal. However, Victor could not talk for reasons that are only theorized but not absolute. Eventually, Dr. Itard sent Victor to live with the housemaid where he lived happily but felt abandoned. The benefit of this study proved that a feral child can still acclimate back into society. Nature and nurture seems to coincide hand in hand with Victor because when he was alone in the woods he relied on himself and acted like an animal to survive. When Victor was taken in by Dr. Itard, he learned compassion, emotion and physical expression but the only barrier was verbal. The environment in which a child grows up and their upbringing ultimately affects their personality.