The Sting

New-style of Tetris storms the gaming market

The game is meant to have a universal aspect, something else that the series has never experienced before. Photo Credit: www.tetriseffect.game

Fernando Castillo, Writer, Field Reporter

Tetris Effect is a puzzle game that is being developed by Japanese company Resonair and will be published by Enhance, Inc. The game is based off Tetris and is planned to be released on the PlayStation 4 on November 9th, 2018.

The game’s mechanics still work like in the Tetris games from the past. To those who have never played Tetris nor have heard of it, here is a brief rundown. Tetriminos, as the pieces are called in-game, are geometric shapes that consist of four square blocks each. Each piece is shaped based off a letter (I, J, L, O, S, T, Z), and come in multiple colors. They all coming down in a random order onto the “well” or “matrix”, which is the playing field. The point of the game is to shift the piece left or right while rotating it (90 degrees each time) if necessary, with the objective of making a horizontal line of ten units. One that is accomplished, that line will be destroyed. Any blocks that are under the line are destroyed as well, and the blocks above that line will fall down. After a set number of lines are cleared, the player moves on to another level. Overtime, the tetriminos will start to fall faster, requiring quick reactions in such a short time. The game either ends when a stack of tetriminos reached to the top and not enough space for the pieces to fall through, or in some versions; when a set number of lines or levels are cleared. Players can easily clear one line, but maybe a bit harder for two lines. Tetriminos I, J, and L can clear three lines, but only an I piece can clear four lines in one go. This move is often called “Tetris”. The word comes from the Greek Cardinal prefix “Tetra”, which means four.

Tetris Effect has thirty levels. Each level has its own music, sound effects, graphical style, and background that changes overtime. Basically, players will be going on an epic journey throughout the universe. There is also a “Zone” mechanic. “Zone” allows players to place several blocks at once. This means that the player can place blocks without the pieces falling. This could potentially make a new move called “decahexatris”. The Greek Cardinal prefix “Decahex-” means 16, so 16 lines can be cleared. Not only does that sounds insane enough, but it’s possible to perform a icosris (Greek Cardinal prefix “icosi-”), meaning 20 lines can be destroyed within a couple of moves. However, what is also different is that when a line is destroyed, the lines at the bottom will not be destroyed, either. Instead, the final piece used to put on the board determines the amount of lines cleared, depending on where the player places the piece. Other game modes include “Marathon”, “Sprint”, and “Ultra”. They have yet to be revealed.

What is possibly the most unusual thing about Tetris Effect is the title itself. This has been inspired and named after the Tetris effect. The Tetris effect, or the Tetris Syndrome, is a phenomenon that occurs when someone devote so much time to an activity that it began to pattern their thoughts, mental images, and dreams. People who game the play a lot (and I mean more than three-quarters of a day straight, if not more) could find themselves thinking how different shapes of real-life objects can fit together. For example, a person stands in between two buildings on the opposite side of the road, the thing separating the buildings being an alleyway. People may experience a hallucination where a falling piece comes down and fits in between the alleyway. Another example would be that when people are trying to sleep, they would see falling tetriminos with their eyes closed. In both cases, it’s a form of a habit and hypnagogic imagery, respectively. So why name it Tetris Effect? Development later began when Game Director Tetsuya Mizuguchi talked with Tetris rights owner Henk Rogers about a “Zone” mechanic, leading towards the game’s creation in 2012. It has been circulated that the game is compatible with the PlayStation VR headset.

This game is interesting since the whole gameplay has a new mechanic that is different from the normal gameplay Tetris produces. Especially when the game is named after a phenomenon people have. Tetris Effect provides a whole new world of the normal Tetris. For PlayStation 4 gamers or anyone who wants a different kind of Tetris, give this game a try. But be sure not to experience the Tetris Syndrome, alright?