The Sting

• December 12Spring semester seminars is now open! Register through the new TAG website.

• December 12Finals week is next week! Study hard and end the semester on a great note!

• December 12Help the AVID 10 class collect donations for charities from Dec. 4th-14th in E111!

• December 3Be Smart - Restart! Remember to restart your surface tablets today!

• November 28December 14th- Roswell's annual Powder Puff game! Show out!

How to survive a general admissions concert

Back to Article
Back to Article

Billie Eillish performing at MoPop in Detroit, MI. | Photo: Isa Velez

Isa Velez, Staff Writer

Brockhampton Concert at the Coca-Cola Roxy | Photo: Ellie Dover

In the winter, going to concerts becomes more common due to the gifts from the holiday season. With the gifts of tickets comes the responsibility to yourself and to your fellow concertgoers to ensure that you will make it through the night. If you have never been to a general admission concert before, it’s like nothing you have ever experienced. Claustrophobia, dehydration and the fear of losing whatever is in your pockets is at an all-time high, all while listening to your favorite band on stage. There are some tips that can help you get the most out of your concert experience.

Before you even make your way to the venue, make sure that you have with you, a small bag (fanny pack or drawstring).

“If I were to bring four things to a concert, I would bring chapstick, money, my phone, and a water bottle,”  Kendall Stevees, senior and active concertgoer states.

I would also recommend bringing a portable charger to ensure you will be able to contact your friends in case you get lost, or to be able to contact your ride later in the night. Now, because of the winter season upon us, if you have to wait outside before the concert starts, make sure you have enough room in that bag to shove your coat inside. And whatever you do, never wear a hat. You will lose it.

Next, make sure you know how to get to the venue and how long you plan to wait in line before the concert starts. If you are a dedicated fan and want to be able to try and be standing at the barricade to be standing right below your idol, I suggest getting to the concert at least three hours before the doors open. It’s all about dedication. When waiting in that line, this is when it is important to have the portable charger and the water. Make sure that you drink the water beforehand to stay hydrated. If you want to bring the water bottle inside the actual venue, most likely it will need to be empty beforehand.

When the doors open you have to make a decision. Do you sacrifice your prime spots for the band’s merchandise? Or do you have a great spot for the concert but no guarantee for a shirt? I usually take the opportunity to get band merchandise and, throughout the concert, slowly move through the crowd. When you are in the middle of a crowd, it is okay to take a break and step out to the side and catch your breath. If you are with a group, make sure that you have a plan to meet up after the concert in case you get separated from each other. Every concert is a different experience, but hopefully, these tips will help you get the most out of your concert experience.

Use this concert guide by concert veterans to make general admissions concerts more fun, easier, and safer! |Graphic: Cami Schiappa

About the Writer