The Sting

• January 15AP Students pick up a copy of the 2018-19 AP Bulletin from Student Services!

• January 14MLK Jr. Day: No School January 21st.

• January 14Save the Date! Winter Formal @RHS on January 26th!

• November 28Roswell's annual Powder Puff game has been postponed to next semester. More updates to come!

Greek environment in decline

Credit%3A+Pixabay.com
Back to Article
Back to Article

Greek environment in decline

Credit: Pixabay.com

Credit: Pixabay.com

Credit: Pixabay.com

Credit: Pixabay.com

Ava Weinreb, News Editor, Director Of Business, Instagram Captain, Human Resources Captain,Editor of People Page

Greece is commonly known for its rich history in mythology, delectable foods and stunning scenery. Although underneath all of its glorious features lies several pertinent issues that are eating away at the livelihoods of the local Grecians. Unemployment rates are at their peak as well as taxation rates, causing some to explore into neighboring countries for work without the burden of detrimental taxes. Many locals turn to tourism, the number one source of economic gain for the county, giving them the freedom from the unforgiving taxes imposed on most jobs found in the country. Not only is economics a driving concern of the Greek population, environmental disasters are also taking a toll on all aspects of Greek life. Due to over consumption and failure to implement regulations encouraging sustainability, many of the natural resources found in the country are being exploited for financial gain. Oil, gas, gold and other precious metals are now being frantically illegally mined and processed; also leading to an increase in deep ocean oil extractions and advancements in fracking. As a result of deforestation and the use of timber as an economic gain rainfall has a decreased by an average on ten to twenty percent, leaving Greece more susceptible to natural disasters. The recent outbreaks of fires are largely caused by a combination of global warming and the lack of rainfall that usually occurs in the country. The fires originated in about eighteen miles East of Athens and quickly spread due to winds. The estimated 1,500 homes were damaged leaving thousands homeless and hundreds hurt, most taking cover in the ocean in order to escape the horrific smoke and excruciating flames. As a result of the fire, the government, which is severely in debt, is struggling to help pay for repercussions of the fire. Junior Emma Guglielmo expresses her concern “Already, Greece is in an economic crisis with the European Union, but the recent fires digs the country deeper into debt and only emphasize Greece’s urgency to solve this problem.” And while the government has made attempts to help its citizens, it is forced to impose even more taxes on the people in order to accumulate the funds to support the fire victims. Overtaxed and underpaid, most Greeks cannot afford to pay the taxes, leading Greece even farther into an economic crisis. While Greece is still recovering from the fires, government plans for recovery are still being debated amongst government officials as well as with surrounding countries that are concerned with both the economic and environmental situation plaguing the country.