The Sting

• December 12Spring semester seminars is now open! Register through the new TAG website.

• December 12Finals week is next week! Study hard and end the semester on a great note!

• December 12Help the AVID 10 class collect donations for charities from Dec. 4th-14th in E111!

• December 3Be Smart - Restart! Remember to restart your surface tablets today!

• November 28December 14th- Roswell's annual Powder Puff game! Show out!

Interviewing local food blogger Elizabeth Moye, creator of Hello Spoonful

Back to Article
Back to Article

Elizabeth Moye creates new and creative recipes that ensure tasty and nutritious foods. | Photo: Elizabeth Moye

Smriti Tayal, Editor of Blog Roll

As students, we are always pressed with the question of what we want to pursue for a career, but many of us do not know the answer to that question. We expect that we must follow the traditional jobs to play it safe. But, that’s not necessarily true.

I got the chance to interview local food blogger Elizabeth Moye about her successful career in blogging. Moye is a full-time blogger, nutritionist and health coach. For those interested in a career in blogging, know that you can make it.

Moye always had a passion for cooking.

“When I was little I was obsessed with the food network and thought it was totally normal to watch it until my friends would come over and be like ummm can we watch the Disney channel or something?” said Moye.

She wanted a career where she could mix her creativity with her love for sports and nutrition.

“Blogging is my first passion,” said Moye. She uses her blog to promote her knowledge.

Moye began her blog back in 2014 when she would get the same questions from friends about her diet and workouts.

“I got tired of answering the same questions so I decided to put it all in one place so I could direct them to it,” said Moye.

That’s how her blog was created, she didn’t fully give blogging a try until she moved to Atlanta last year. She made her instagram one day in the Costco parking lot and it grew quickly. Moye acknowledges that success doesn’t happen all of a sudden and you have to be patient.

“The traffic definitely didn’t happen overnight. There’s also a lot of technical stuff that goes on behind the scenes to get your blog traffic up,” said Moye.

She has a blog post on Hello Spoonful about it for anyone that’s interested.

As a blogger, Moye’s daily tasks always vary, but she says on a weekly basis her tasks are similar.

“I typically spend my mornings journaling with coffee and then dive into my emails. I usually spend about 45 mins in the morning returning emails from my nutrition clients, brand collaboration inquiries, existing campaigns, social events plus promotion opportunities and from my readers,” said Moye.

Moye created these sweet potato chocolate chip muffins as one of her fall recipes! | Photo: Elizabeth Moye

She spends a large amount of time in her kitchen developing new recipes to share with her readers. Overall during the week she meets with clients, does coaching calls, develops meal and nutrition plans and writes blog posts and interviews.

Moye says she loves living in Roswell because it is “quaint, cute and gorgeous.” She enjoys spending time on Canton Street. She explains that living in Roswell hasn’t necessarily helped her career, but she does get a lot of messages when her readers are in Roswell. Most of the events and restaurant openings she gets invited to are downtown.

“It can be a bit of a commute, but I’d rather live here than in the mess of downtown,” said Moye.

To aspiring bloggers, Moye’s best piece of advice is to “Launch and pivot. If you’re thinking you might like to be a blogger you need to start now and you’ll figure it out as you go. You have to mess up to find out what truly works.” She advises that you must find your target audience and figure out what you want your message to them to be. Her final piece of advice is “Niche down, be consistent and build a strong community.”