The Sting

• March 24Harbin Classic Friday March 29th!

• March 24Spirit Week: Tie-Dye Tuesday

• March 24Spirit Week: Merica Monday!!!

• March 15Elkins Pointe students visit RHS March 28th: 9am-11am

• March 15Crabapple Middle School Students will be visiting RHS March 19th

The Ultimate edition of Super Smash Bros. hitting stores soon

More about the writer:
Fernando Castillo

More stories from Fernando Castillo

Back to Article
Back to Article

Wallpaper featuring most of the characters in the roster. Notable characters are Mario, Bowser, Pikachu, Yoshi, Sonic, Samus, Mega Man, Kirby, Pac-Man, and much more. Photo Credit: screenrant.com

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate is an upcoming crossover fighting video game being developed by Bandai Namco Studios and Sora Ltd. and published by Nintendo. The game is expected to be released on the Nintendo Switch on Dec. 7. It marks the fifth installment of the Super Smash Bros. series, right after Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS and Super Smash Bros. for Wii U. The gameplay is still the same as always: the player must weaken their opponents by attacking them and knock them off the stage for a certain amount of times before they do the same to the player. The game’s roster features every character that previously appeared in several Super Smash Bros. titles, including third-party characters (i.e. Solid Snake from Metal Gear and Sonic from Sonic the Hedgehog), along with new characters.

The creator of the series, Masahiro Sakurai, came back to direct the game. Both studios Bandai and Sora also came back to develop the game. This time, the team was not built as development began and were already ready, which was fortunate for time purposes. Sakurai wanted Ultimate to include every character that has made an appearance from previous titles. This was because he knew that a fanbase who dedicate themselves to this game, and this goal was a really good way to satisfy them. However, a problem with this is getting proper licensing and development time. Luckily, the game’s developers were the same ones from 3DS and Wii U, making licensing and development much easier. The game’s system was built off from pre-existing systems from previous games instead of having a new one because of Sakurai’s goal. The engine, however, was built from scratch and is completely different from 3DS and Wii U’s engine. Ultimate does feature musical works from several music composers, making over 800 different tracks. The music ties in to franchises instead of individual stages this time, as well as the player having the option to create playlists to listen to songs while the Nintendo Switch is in handheld mode.

Already mentioned before, the goal of the game is for every participant to try and knock each other from the arena using their own types of attacks. Of course, special items and power-ups can be used to help the player or CPU, depending on who is using it. Each player has a percentage, usually starting at zero. When a character takes damage, the percentage increases. As it percentage increases, the odds of getting knocked out of the arena easily also increases as well. The player can choose which standard mode to play. Timed is when players must try to get the most points by defeating their opponents within a certain amount of time, Stock is when players have a certain amount of lives and must try to be the last one standing, and Stamina, where players just get their opponent’s health down to 0% to defeat them. These modes can be edited for the player’s amusement. While playing a match, players can utilize their character’s Final Smash, which is the ultimate power-up. This can be granted by cracking open the Smash Ball or filling up a special meter, which both can be toggled on or off. The game has included 74 characters total and 103 different stages to play around in. A new mode called Stage Morph allows players to select two stages. While playing, the stage alternates at certain times. Classic Smash and Special Smash are to return as well as new modes. Smashdown is where a character can only be played once. Squad Strike is where players battle in teams with a multitude of characters to choose from, and Tournament, where up to 32 characters can battle it out bracket-style to become the champion. Ultimate has a new adventure mode called the World of Light, where the player must travel through a game board like Super Smash Bros. Brawl, rescuing captured players and spirits by satisfying certain challenges. Spirits are a new mechanic to the series. Spirits, based on a character, can be used to power up a fighter with unique abilities, which can be used to fight against human or computer opponents.

Online play (local wireless with other systems or via Wi-Fi/LAN connection) and local multiplayer is supportable. Players can earn tags by defeating other live players, which can be traded for in-game currency, which then can be used to buy new Spirits, music, and Mii Fighter costumes (yes, Mii’s can be used in Ultimate). The game supports Joy-Con controllers, the Nintendo Switch Pro Controller and Nintendo GameCube Controllers with the use of an USB adaptor.

This game is one of the best to be release for this year. With new modes, a roster complete with veterans and newcomers, and a bunch of new content, it’s safe to say that Sakurai has ultimately completed his goal. I recommend this game because it’s a lot of fun for players worldwide, especially when your favorite character is in the game.