Letter to the Editor: Are the new RHS cameras an invasion of privacy?

Graphic Credit: Cami Schiappa

Graphic Credit: Cami Schiappa

Stefan Glende

To the Editor:

Re “Cameras improve school safety still haunt students” (opinion, Dec. 7):

On the RHS Sting website, Jaeden Davis believes the cameras are for the safety of the staff and students. On the other hand, the students at Roswell believe the cameras are an invasion of privacy. Students who say this do not understand the true intent of the cameras.

As said in the article, there were over 23 school shootings in the past year. With the addition to the cameras, police and administrators can look for any suspicious activity that could harm the students. Officials can track anyone they want and follow them where they go around the school. Students might say that this is a invasion of privacy, but it is really protection for the students. It is much better to be safe and open with the cameras than dangerous and closed. These cameras can help find evidence that can even save lives in prevention oa tragedy.

Not only do the cameras help with finding dangerous suspects or illegal activities, they also help to track drugs and vaping, which is a very common thing in most high schools. As a student myself, those who complained about the cameras were those who I saw vaping and doing things against the rules. As for being a distraction to kids’ learning, adding these cameras helps eliminate those distractors. Sure the troublemakers may find other ways to do things, but it makes it much harder for them to achieve these tasks.

Overall, the new cameras may seem like a issue of privacy, as stated in Davis’s article, but the main reason these cameras are active is to help increase the safety of our staff and students. If anyone has a problem with these cameras, they obviously are looking for ways to get in trouble. Why would someone dislike something that keeps them safe? I believe that Jaeden Davis interprets the cameras correctly and people should read his article to gain more knowledge and insight.

Stefan Glende

Junior

Stefan,

Thanks so much for your response to the article. Jaeden Davis’s article balances the concern of the issue at hand with the necessity of the cameras and we are glad you appreciated this interpretation.

As for your point that one should not dislike something that keeps them safe, someone is able to both respect the intentions of tools that improve safety but also express concern for consequences of implementation. Nevertheless, we completely understand the lack of perspective one-sided opinions on the issue sometimes present.

The school cameras were certainly a topic of contention. There are understandable points on both sides of the issue, but more students should appreciate that the opinions aren’t mutually exclusive. The cameras present a possible privacy concern, but also have great potential to improve upon the safety of students.

Isabella Cordell

Director of Communications