Math team takes on Tri-Wizard math competition

Mr. Brown discusses the rules of the tournament before the students get to work. The whole time spirits were high and the students were eager to dive right in. |Credit: Smriti Tayal

Smriti Tayal, Director of Design

RHS’s math team recently participated in the Math Circle’s Tri-Math Tournament, a Harry Potter Themed Team Challenge. The students split up into teams of three to four and had about 45 minutes to complete the challenge. The team submitted their work to Math Circle. Mr. Brown, sponsor of the math team, read out the directions and the team got to work.

The math team has a diverse group of students, ranging from freshmen to seniors. These students share a passion for math. Junior Ashleigh Sargent says she joined because “I like doing math and the teacher is the absolute best, so why not.” Ashleigh is able to improve upon her math and learn new things. “There are definitely people who are better than me at math, so whenever we finish a competition and there was something I struggled with I get to learn from them.”

Mr. Brown says he chose to sponsor the math team, because “I was a member of my high school’s math team. When the sponsor spot opened up this year, I knew it was a club I wanted to be a part of.”
Mr. Brown says these group of kids are special because they are students who “truly love math- they love problem solving and they enjoy a challenge.” The math team holds some of Roswell High’s finest and brightest students and they continue to compete in math tournaments across Georgia.

Mr. Brown believes there are two parts to the math team: individual and team components. “Individually, students gain confidence in mathematics, learn from their mistakes, and know what it feels like to be pressured. Often students must approach problems in a different way than they would in math class. As a team, students learn to work together, to argue and defend their logic and answers, and learn from each.” The Varsity Math Team includes seniors Young Choi, Shaan Gill, Bhavik Singh, George Ye, and junior Robbie Vrolijk. They placed second in the Tri-Math Tournament. The remaining members include juniors Ashleigh Sargent, Luke Zeeches, and Katherine Lamson, sophomore Lane Mellie, and freshmen HanOrm and HanYesl Dieter.

Their next competition is Apr. 13 at Georgia Tech. Make sure you go and support our math team! Also, if anyone is interested in being a part of Math Team or learning more, they meet on Thursday’s after school in Mr. Brown’s room, G-118.