A profile on mxmtoon, an upcoming teen artist

mxmtoon is the queen of being relatable , even if she doesn't win prom queen. Photo Credit: Moxie

Bridget Frame, Staff Writer

mxmtoon is the next artist for America’s teens. Her voice is clear and pleasing, and her songs are catchy and unique. But what makes her art is its relatability. Now, more than ever, teens are not looking for someone to idolize, but for someone to relate to. They want their favorite artist to remind them of their best friend. It’s this form of comfort that makes mxmtoon special. It’s especially evident in songs such as “prom dress” which laments the drudgery of high school and the regret that comes from it. The tune bounces around like a dance track, which contrasts with the lyrics “I’m sitting here crying in my prom dress”. Her songs reverberate with honesty. There is no sugarcoating her life. When she is sad, she expresses it. It can be shown in one of her songs “ seasonal depression”. It’s title is blunt and telling. It makes fun of the trope of self-care solving mental illness with the line “a cup of tea and a nap don’t solve my problems”.  An artist’s emotions or personal struggles can be found hinted in most popular music, but never have they been so boldly shown. It’s a refreshing break from the often hidden and idolized pop stars of today. She feels like the girl-next-door, the one you’ve always wanted to talk to but haven’t had the chance to yet. She is teen angst combined with the wishful hope of 80’s highschool movies. mxmtoon is herself and that is all she needs to be.