Counselor efforts help students prepare for college, but students are still overwhelmed

The wall of the HUB is covered in college banners of the multiple schools around the country. These banners serve as motivators for students getting ready to move on to college. Credit: Smriti Tayal

Smriti Tayal, Director of Design

Since the beginning of high school, the pressure to aim for the greatest when it comes to college has been implemented within students. We’re told to join extracurriculars, get good grades and participate within the community. It’s as if we’re hardwired to fit the increasingly difficult formula to get accepted by a college.

With all of this preparation to get into a college, it still feels as if we’re under-prepared. I remember going into this year absolutely confused about how to even approach the application process. How are we supposed to aim for the greatest, when we don’t even know where to start?

In my opinion, I think there is too much of an emphasis on what is needed to get into college, instead of how to actually start the process. But, this year Roswell’s student services has done a great job at helping seniors prepare for the lengthy process that is applying to college. Multiple students have demonstrated their content with the services provided. This year student services implemented a weekly service where counselors can help seniors with any questions they have during study hall, as well as creating a college application resource checklist. When asked if she had tried out the services provided, Sienna Kent responded with a positive outlook on it.

Mrs. Miner and Mrs. Mukenge, counselors, help seniors Tuesdays Thursdays in the HUB with any questions they might have on college applications, college essays and test scores. Credit: Smriti Tayal

“I actually did! I think it was extremely helpful, because when I was self-reporting my grades and courses I struggled with knowing what to enter and the counselors there were extremely helping in aiding me to get that done,” said senior Sienna Kent.

Personally, the new college aid services were extremely helpful, but I do know for some the service was not as helpful and sometimes caused more confusion due to a lack of standardized answers. An idea that I believe could be very beneficial in the future would be required counselor meetings in the beginning of senior year, to ensure every student is on track to apply, if that is the path they wish to pursue.

This would allow seniors to start the application process and get advice on finding schools that are best suited for them. If Roswell further implements new college aid services, as well as continues current services, our students would feel more than prepared, which is a step-up from being under-prepared.