GSA, how it’s helping young LGBTQ+ kids

Bridget Frame, Director of graphics

Since its inception, Gay-Straight Alliance has been a safe space for Lesbian Gay Bisexual Trans + youth across the nation within schools. The first Gay-Straight Alliance clubs were started in the 1980’s, eventually spreading all across the U.S. Its purpose was and continues to be bridging the gap between LGBTQ+ students and their cis and straight peers. Oftentimes, LGBTQ+ teens feel ostracized and isolated, so Gay-Straight Alliance is a positive, welcoming space to express themselves. 

Co-President and Sophomore Sarah Anderson says her favorite part of Gay-Straight Alliance was the comradery and that “It’s like a big family”. In its inception, the club’s widely focused on sexuality, but it has branched into gender identity as well. LGBTQ+ teenagers are at risk for a larger amount of harassment and bullying and Gay-Straight Alliance has provided improvements in lowering the risk in this regard. The National Library of Medicine states that “In a study of over 7,000 LGBTQ+ students, Kosciw and colleagues (2010) found that the presence of a GSA was associated with fewer homophobic comments from peers, less victimization related to sexual orientation and gender expression, greater school safety and school connectedness, and more instances of teacher intervention in homophobic harassment.

Transgender students face a large amount of difficulty existing within the school system. According to Transequality.org, 59% of transgender student’s say they have been denied access to bathrooms that align with their gender identity. As the push for equal rights and opportunity for transgender students persists, GSA’s are a haven for the students’ expression. 

Gay-Straight Alliance Co-President and Junior Sophie Brenowitz says “It’s a safe place for people where they don’t have to hide who they are.” Gay-Straight Alliance is not just limited to students who identify as LGBTQ+. Straight and cis students are encouraged to attend, as the club does rely on an alliance. The club’s purpose is to create understanding among students of all identities.