Jumping into the boy’s varsity basketball season

As only the fourth Roswell team in school history to play in the Elite Eight last year, the boy’s basketball team is back and ready for another impressive year. 

Head varsity coach, Ty Phillips, has had the team working hard to prepare for this season, with practices beginning in June.  The team currently practices or plays games six days a week and will continue until the end of February. 

Last season, the team had eight seniors that were dressed out on varsity. However, this year, the team has three. Coach Phillips describes this year’s group as “inexperienced”. Furthermore, he says he is going to rely on the upperclassmen to help out and lead. The rest of the varsity team consists of seven juniors, three sophomores and one freshman. 

According to Coach Phillips, this season’s schedule may be “the toughest in school history”. They are playing five teams that are ranked in the preseason polls, as well as big region opponents like Etowah and Cherokee. Etowah and Roswell have been at the top of the region for the last three years, but Cherokee is expected to play well this season with several returning players. 

Although the team hopes to top last year’s success, Coach Phillips describes each game and season as a journey.

“We feel like if we do what we are supposed to do day to day, we can deal with the results at the end of the year,” explains the head coach, who also states that he never puts a round of the playoffs he aims the team to get to, “We simply have a standard that we want to play to and we strive everyday to play to that standard.” 

The varsity team has not lost many games at home in the last several years. According to Coach, the team loves home court advantage. 

“It really helps when the student section comes out, and the rowdy section gets rowdy,” says Coach Phillips.

Coach Phillips also explains that other coaches talk about how hard they find it coming into Roswell and winning in the environment the students create. 

Coach Phillips knows his team will be successful. “If we work hard everyday, we think we’ll get back where we need to be,” says Coach Phillips.

For more information and varsity team schedules, click here.