Hornets Exorcise Demons, Win 1st Round Playoff Game

Rajath Prabhakar, Sports Editor

Coming off 2 straight 1st round exits, Roswell Varsity Hornets entered Friday’s contest 7-2 on the year. Their opponent: the Wheeler Wildcats. Roswell had beaten them in their homecoming game, but the ‘Cats were a much-improved team.

1st Quarter

Roswell took the ball first and proceeded to go three-and-out. Junior Caden Long’s punt was downed at the Wildcats’ 44. Sr. Dayshawn Anderson completed his first pass of the night, hitting Sr. Lavar Lesure for 31. However, Wheeler’s opening drive stalled out. On 3rd down, Anderson’s pass was intercepted by a diving Dillon Hollifield (11).  Off the interception, the Hornets were able to pick up a couple 1st downs, but Senior Ethan Roberts was sacked by senior Rylan Artis, forcing Roswell to punt.

Roswell High School
Jr. Dillon Hollifield celebrates after picking off Sr. Dayshawn Anderson. The junior had two interceptions Friday night in Roswell’s 31-0 win over the Wheeler Wildcats.

2nd Quarter

The second quarter began with Wheeler picking up a first down on third-and-long (Dayshawn Anderson 12-yard run). However, the senior was sacked on 3 consecutive dropbacks, courtesy of Seniors Will Troutman, Caden Bondurant, and Ivan Yates. The Hornets took over on the ensuing drive, picking apart the Wildcats’ defense. 8 plays later, senior Saveon McCrary was stuffed at the line of scrimmage on third down, bringing up a field goal attempt. Junior Brian Najar calmly split the uprights, drawing first blood for Roswell. 3-0 Hornets. The 20-yarder was the first field goal Roswell made all season. On Wheeler’s final possession of the first half, Dayshawn Anderson found Sr. Miles Elliott for a 15 yard gain. A 6-yard run by Anderson set up 2nd and 4. Looking for Lavar Lesure-Harris (12), Anderson was intercepted by Hollifield. It was both players’ second interception of the game. “Their quarterback was very elusive, but our defense did a very good job of keeping them at bay,” said sophomore William Muller.

3rd Quarter

After getting the ball at Wheeler’s 39-yard line off a costly penalty by the Wildcats, it took just 3 plays for Ethan Roberts to find senior Jacob Jarrett for a 39-yard touchdown. 10-0 Hornets. 2 possessions later, Roswell got the ball back at its own 34. This drive was all Saveon McCrary, who picked up 48 yards on 9 carries, including a 1-yard touchdown run to put the Hornets up 17-0.

Roswell High School
Ethan Roberts (Sr.) drops back against the Wheeler Wildcats. The Roswell Hornets won their first round playoff game, 31-0

4th Quarter

After a 17-yard punt, Roswell took over from Wheeler’s 44. A pair of Nnamdi Orjioke (12) runs set Roswell up inside the 5 on third down. On 3rd and Goal from the 2, Ethan Roberts found the end zone again on a two-yard run. 24-0 Hornets. The rushing touchdown was his second of the game. Roswell wasted no time going up 31-0, driving 12 yards in 5 plays off Anderson’s fumble. Ethan Roberts hit Jacob Jarrett for a 9-yard touchdown, his third of the game.

Final Score: Roswell 31, Wheeler 0

The senior quarterback had arguably his best game of the year, throwing for 76 yards and 3 touchdowns.

Hudl

With the win, Roswell advances in the 7A playoffs, facing Mill Creek in the second round Friday night.