Gone but not forgotten

Gabby Lerner, Staff Writer

Feb. 5  is national commitment day, when athletes nationwide commit to college. However, seven Roswell football players signed their letters of intent on Dec. 18, committing early.  

Roswell Athletics
Seven football players signed their Letters of Intent early.

Trey Zimmerman and John Copenhaver signed to University of North Carolina and graduated after the first semester. Zimmerman plays offensive tackle and is a three star recruit. Copenhaver plays tight end and is a three star recruit, as well. 

Another early signee is Doneiko Slaughter, who committed to The University of Tennessee to play defensive back. “I chose to commit to Tennessee because of Coach Ansley, the defensive back coach, and because it’s close to home,” said senior Deneiko Slaughter. Furthermore, Slaughter explained that he signed early to get the process out of the way. “There is a lot of recruitment and a lot of schools talking to me, and it sometimes gets overwhelming.” Slaughter, coming from Decatur, shared that Roswell taught him how to work hard and prioritize.

Cornerback Ivan Yates committed early to Furman University. He chose to sign to Furman because it is close to his family and has a great academic program. “Roswell prepared me by surrounding myself with the right people, mentors and coaches,” explained senior Yates.

“My teachers have always kept me intact, and I’ve always had the drive to get good grades. Football wise, my coaches always pushed me on and off the field, and in the weight room, as well.””

— John-Michael DiRoberto

Jacob Jarrett signed to Tennessee Tech to play wide receiver. He shared that he really liked the atmosphere and coaches, which brought him to signing early. Jarrett then described that his coaches and teachers helped push him to stay motivated and to play college football. 

Safety John Michael DiRoberto signed to Wofford. He committed to Wofford because of the great atmosphere and academics. “When I went up there in the summer, the people who had already convinced me to sign,” he shared. DiRoberto also explained, “My teachers have always kept me intact, and I’ve always had the drive to get good grades. Football wise, my coaches always pushed me on and off the field, and in the weight room as well.”

The outside linebacker/long snapper, Will Troutman, signed to Harvard. He chose Harvard because he loves the city and the great education he will be offered there. To learn more about Will Troutman and his commitment to Harvard, click here