How students are relieving stress during the pandemic

Savannah Young, Staff Writer

When schools were ordered to close in March 2020, many students found themselves searching for things to do in order to pass timewhether that be cleaning, aimlessly driving around town, or taking walks around the neighborhood. 

However, some students already knew what they would do to occupy themselves during quarantine. Freshman Kaylen Quimby says that she used her writing as a way to kill time as the days went by. 

“I did a lot of writing in quarantine,” she says, “It’s the one thing for me that I never get tired of. It’s one of the big things in my life.” 

Kaylen states that writing has helped her relieve stress during the pandemic, especially when she’s worried about what’s yet to come. 

“Since school has started, I’ve been a bit more stressed out, especially due to homework,” she explains. “I look forward to the end of the day when I can go on my computer and just write. I take it as a signal for: I did all my work! After that, I’m completely stress free.” 

Although she describes herself as an introvert, she does miss certain aspects of being in school with her friends. 

Students are using writing as a way to cope with their stress during         COVID-19.
Picture credits to unsplash.

“Staying home didn’t bother me at all, at least for the first few monthsAfter a while, it became a struggle, especially on my mental well-beingThere are times where I’m completely stressed out. But, at the end of the day, we need to prevent the spread of COVID, even if that means not seeing our friends for a while,” Quimby states. 

Kaylen believes that the extroverts in school are struggling more with the pandemic, since they’re used to hanging out with other kids. There is, however, one way teens are relieving stress online, particularly the social butterflies of the school. 

“I would say that the people who have social media, let’s say Tik-Tok or Instagram, are able to get the socialization they need. I don’t have any social platformsNever interested me.” 

Although Kaylen may not be the type of person you’d see on social media, 15-year-old Santi Beltran found it as a way to express himself. 

“When the pandemic happened, I was bored. I played gamesI slept and messed up my whole sleeping schedule,” he says, “And then I saw my Clone-Trooper costume. I started painting it. That’s when I started doing Tik-Tok.” 

From a young age, Santi Beltran has always dreamed of being an influencer. When schools closed and his time was now spent at home, he finally had the time to achieve his dream. 

“I’ve wanted to be a cosplayer my whole life, but I didn’t have the time, the money or the resources,” he says. When schools closed, I started thinking about how I could balance Tik-Tok and schoolwork. Before then, I wasn’t doing much. I was lazy.” 

Santi explains that being on social media has helped him cope with his stress. He’s been able to spread positivity on the platform and help others come out of their shell. In return, he’s become a new person. 

“Before the pandemic, I was the quiet kid. I was alone. Now, thanks to social media, whenever I watch my old videos, I’m like wow, I’ve changed a lot. A lot has happened. 

Although he enjoys his time on Tik-Tok, there are some setbacks. 

“My stress has come out on camera before. Unfortunately, on live. But my friends were there to help me.” Santi says, “Making videos always takes my mind off of my stress.” 

The internet sensation, Tik-Tok, has given students an outlet to express themselves while stuck at home.
Pictures credits to unsplash.

However, not everyone is able to relieve their stress by making videos on social media. Take freshman John Crooks as an example. 

When schools closed, John knew exactly what he would do to pass the time. 

“I started practicing on my keyboard and violin. I’d play video games from time to time, too, and, if I got bored, I’d draw. I’d pretty much cycle through all of those activities,” He says. 

John currently plays the violin in the school’s orchestra program. He stated that playing the instrument has helped him relieve stress. 

“The violin started off as something that I thought I’d try, just for the fun of it. By the time I finished my first piece, I knew I’d want to continue playing it,” John states, “It’s not fun being home, but playing music has helped me power through it.” 

The violin isn’t the only instrument that’s helped him pass time during the pandemic. 

“I started playing the keyboard three years after I started playing the violin,” he says, “Ever since then, I’ve been practicing. I’ve got a lot to learn, but I love it.” 

Students are resorting to playing or listening to music as a way to relieve stress during the pandemic.
Picture credits to unsplash.

Even though school has started, he’s still been able to keep up with his hobbies. 

“Well, I mean, school’s started, but I’ve kept up with it,” he explains, “I just have to be good at managing my time. I have to make sure that I have my homework done before I start practicing for the day.” 

Although many people struggled with being home all day, John didn’t find it as hard to adjust. 

“I find comfort in staying inside, even though I hate being alone. I’m pretty introverted, though, so I like being home. Not much has changed.” 

John believes that life will eventually go back to normal, or, at least, a new normal. 

“Things may be really bad right now, but it won’t last forever. It’s got to get better at one point.  

Quimby agrees with Crooks. She’s also hopeful that her fellow classmates and upperclassmen have found an outlet to entertain themselves and relieve stress. 

“I hope that everyone has found a new outlet during this pandemic or just a better way to deal with the stress that we have in this difficult time. I know that I have. I really hope we can all evolve from this.”