Doing school virtually with network problems: tips for fixes

Above depicts a man facing computer struggles. Photo Credit: Unsplash

David Blanton

Students are constantly dealing with their computers whether it be problems with their microphone, camera issues, etc. Although all of these problems are very relevant, one of the most problematic issues is a bad network. 

Bad network slows down everything, making it challenging for students to attend class and complete assignments. Slow internet causes students to miss classes leaving them accountable for making up assignments and rewatching class recordings.

To combat these problems, below are some ways to help with your bad network.

Tips on what to do if your computer is moving slowly: If students have trouble logging into class, it may be because of their wifi. When this happens they may want to take off any other personal devices logged on the wifi. Doing this may help the device used for school move faster because their wifi doesn’t have as many electronics logged on. Another way to help the device run faster is by closing out any apps that are not needed at the time. This will help the device run faster because there are not several applications open. 

Tips on what to do if your computer is glitching: If students notice that their device is glitching, there may be a larger problem. If the computer is glitching when attending a meeting, notify the teacher and restart the Microsoft teams app. Students may have their apps open for days without restarting them, which can be the root of most problems. If restarting the app does not fix the glitching, then it is recommended that the whole computer should be restarted. This is something students forget to do daily but should be done every night to prevent problems. 

If none of these tips help, go to this link to find out more information for your computer issues and when/how you can get it looked at. Or from the RHS homepage, you will be able to find this information in the Student Devices and Technology tab that is under the Universal Remote Learning section on the home page.