How food service and the cafeteria workers are affected by COVID-19

Students can get school meals as shown here at their homes. Picture Credit: Unsplash

Gracie Ross

Ever since the coronavirus started, lives have changed drastically. The questions many people ask are about the children who rely on getting proper meals from school.

“Every day I worry about them. Every day,” said Alyssia Wright, executive director of Fulton County Schools’ nutrition program in Fulton County, Ga. “We come up with ways every week to find a new way to get meals to our kids”.

According to Roswell High School’s website, 95 Fulton county schools are offering curbside pickup from 11:00-1:00 and also offering to deliver meals to bus stops from 10:45-12:00 (RHS).

Over the summer, thousands of cafeteria workers went to schools while they were closed to the public. Cafeteria workers made sure millions of children who rely on free meals or half-priced food were getting fed. Schools delivered meals to students at home.

As schools were debating on whether to open school or start remote learning, they considered the low wages and working conditions for teachers/workers. They are at high risk for COVID-19 and are highly affected by the pandemic while working to get meals to students relying on the school for food. According to USA today, “cafeteria workers need to be recognized with labor protections for risking their own health to continue serving free meals to students”.

Not only are cafeteria workers in jeopardy of getting the coronavirus, but the way food is being served is different. Food servers have to be more cautious that food is sanitary and safe. While the virus is mainly caught with human contact, workers must wash hands and surfaces to ensure the safety of the food. Due to the coronavirus, there are many shortages on food as well.