Meet Coach Prewett, Head Coach for Roswell Hornet’s Varsity Football Team

Roswell High School

Coach Prewett, the new Head Coach for The Roswell Hornets.

Savannah Young, Staff Writer

Here in the South, football practically runs in our blood. The Friday night lights, the sound of cheers in the bleachers, the crowd’s school spirit—the love of football unites us all. 

And as any respectable football fan knows, a team’s potential for a winning season heavily depends on one thing—or one person, actually: the coach. 

Responsible for developing and training their players, coaches also have the important task of uniting their team. 

So, with the new football season upon us, we decided it was time to get to know a bit more about Roswell High’s new varsity head football coach, Christopher Prewett, to learn more about his experience, his philosophies and, finally, his plan for the Roswell Hornet’s varsity football team.  

Savannah Young: Thank you for taking the time to speak with me. So, what made you decide to become a coach? 

Coach Prewett: Honestly, when I graduated college, I had no idea what I wanted to do. The thought of coaching had crossed my mind but I didn’t really know or understand how to get into coaching.  

Most of the role models in my life were my football coaches from middle school, high school and college. Coaching football and impacting players lives is the main driving force behind me being a coach.   

S.Y.: Did you play football in high school and/or college? 

C.P.: I played sports year round. I started playing football, basketball, and baseball in elementary school and kept playing until the end of middle school. When I got to high school, I continued playing football and basketball. When my sophomore year started, I committed to playing football. It was an outlet for me and I enjoyed being around my friends, playing, and competing. 

Then, I played linebacker at Houston County High School in Warner Robins, GA from 2004-2008, and I played linebacker at LaGrange College in LaGrange, GA from 2008-2012.   

S.Y.: How long have you been coaching now? 

C.P.: I’ve been coaching since 2012. I coached for two years at LaGrange College in LaGrange, GA, one year at Pope High School in Marietta, GA, and two years at Johns Creek High School in Fulton County. This is my fourth year at RHS. 

S.Y.: We all know that football is a sport that tends to unite people. And here in Georgia, it’s often a family event. How does your family support you? 

C.P.: I wouldn’t be able to handle everything that goes on without the support of my wife, Ashley. We met in high school and have been married for 5 years this December. The amount of sacrifice she makes on a day to day basis cannot be understated. She makes being a coach’s wife look easy, even when it’s not.   

We have a three-year-old, Blakely, who loves watching football games and spending time with the team. We’re expecting another daughter in February. Ashley and Blakely support me in so many ways. They come to every game and have dates with me during JV games on Thursdays. My family means everything to me. 

Coach Prewett stands for a family photo with his wife, Ashley Prewett, and three-year-old daughter, Blakely. (Chris Prewett)

S.Y.: So, Coach Prewett, why did you choose to coach at RHS? 

C.P.: I came to RHS in 2017 when Matt Kemper was hired as Head Football Coach. RHS has one of the richest and proudest football programs in the state of Georgia, and I was willing to do anything to become a part of the program. Random fact: I interviewed at RHS back in 2012 when I was a first-year teacher.  

S.Y.: How’s the season going? 

C.P.: Right now, we are 3-0 and we are continuing to improve and get better every single day. All we can do right now is to continue to get better and make sure we focus on each day with our full, undivided focus.  

Too often, people will look ahead, and we have tried to focus on taking this season one game at a time and enjoy preparing for our games on Friday and making sure we make the best out of each day.  

S.Y.: Do you think you coach your players differently than other coaches? 

C.P.: I’m sure do. I think every coach has their own personality. And it may take some players a while to figure out their traits.  

The only suggestion I give our coaches is to be themselves and make sure that your players know that you care about their well-being and football career. I don’t think players care about how good of a coach you are until they know you care about them. 

S.Y.: Could you share a bit more about your coaching philosophies? 

C.P.: I believe in building relationships with each player that we have. I take my time to understand that what motivates and excites each member of the team. I believe that our players need to be held to a high standard and held accountable for everything they do whether they’re in or outside of our program.  

also believe in “tough love” and giving our players hard and more positive encouragement than negative put downs. I’ve always been a positive person and try to instill that in our players.  

S.Y.: It sounds like you really care about your players and try to make a big impact in their lives. How would you say the players have impacted your life? 

C.P.: The players on our team teach me more than I probably teach them. I tell them all the time that I’ll treat them just the way I would treat my sons. I may have one daughter, but I have 100+ sons every single year that need to be taken care of.