Roswell Student’s Feelings Towards in School Covid Safety

Nicole Powichroski, Staff Writer

As Covid cases rise daily in Fulton County to over 66,600 thousand cases and over 800 deaths, schools within the county are trying to remain open and safe for students and teachers. What is most important for the administration to ensure is how school can remain open and safe while being face to face, and to not have to resort back to solely remote learning. 

If a student is exposed to another student with Covid they are taken out of class or if not at school, their parents receive a phone stating their child must stay home for the ten day quarantine period. At Roswell masks are required at all times except for at lunch when students are eating. While inside the lunch room, students may only have one person per filling one full table. Teachers have assigned seats for students in case of the instance of a teacher needing to give administration the seating chart because of contact tracing. When a student has Covid, emails are sent out to parents stating there has been a new case, even if their child has no relation to the student. According to the CDC, the “CDC offers updated considerations for mitigation strategies that school administrators can use to help protect students, teachers, and staff and slow the spread of the virus that causes COVID-19.” Although these are heavily recommended they are just recommendations and schools are responsible for how well and efficiently they handle Covid. To learn more about what the CDC says school should be doing in order to protect students, click here.

Although they have a system in place to keep students and staff safe, many students still feel a miscommunication between them and administration. When asked her opinions on Roswell’s Covid safety, sophomore Maclain Chapero said, “I guess I feel safe. It’s hard to really tell. I understand they are doing what they can but it always feels like they are hiding something or not telling us 100% of the truth. Times where people’s lives are in danger, the most important thing is to be transparent with us. It feels like they downplay it, which is really dangerous for teachers, students who are high risk and students who have people at home who are high risk. I don’t think they are doing a bad job. I just wish they could be more clear with us about what is really going on.”

When asked if there’s any changes they wish they could see to ensure better safety, Sarah Nay, sophomore, said “I think the teachers themselves need to be more strict about masks. Oftentimes teachers will take them off below their chin or students will do the same and no one will mention it. They also should be stricter on masks for sports. I understand it can make things harder but many sports teams have had to quarantine in the past month alone. They even could take one day a week to have remote learning, even teachers at home, for the school to be cleaned and disinfected. People are taken out of class everyday, which means people are getting exposed and contracting the virus faster than before. Maybe cleaning the schools could reduce chances of contracting the germs from things every student has to touch every day.”

As cases increase four times quicker in Fulton County than they had in the fall, everyone is keeping an eye open for the potential chance of needing to resort back to complete remote learning. Students tend to learn better in person and it is beneficial to get the social interaction for children’s mental health, but there may need to be a point in the spring semester where the best option is to resort to going back home. For now, the only thing to continue is social distancing and wearing masks to do what we can to remain as safe as possible.

Click here to watch the official CDC video describing the precautions for schools to take when battling COVID-19.