The Sting

Preview of Super Mario Party

Some of the mini games that will be in Super Mario Party. Photo Credit: attackofthefanboy.com

Fernando Castillo, Writer, Field Reporter

Super Mario Party is an upcoming party simulator developed by Nd Cube Co., Ltd. and published by Nintendo. It is the eleventh title of the Mario Party series. It is scheduled to be released on the Nintendo Switch on Oct. 5. It would be the first video game from the Party franchise to ever be released on the Switch, since the 2017 Mario Party title The Top 100 was released for the Nintendo 3DS.

For those who have never seen a Mario Party title or have heard of it but never seen it, here is how Mario Party works. In Party Mode, up to four players play through a board while trying to collect as many stars as possible. Players roll a dice on their turn and navigate through the course. Coins are earned depending on the player’s performance in a minigame. Players can also earn stars when they land on the Star Space. To earn a star, you would have to buy it with a certain amount of coins. In every title, there have been 50 to 90 minigames. It is either a free-for-all, two-on-two, or a three-on-one battle. Even in a group battle, players still compete against each other individually for coins. Most of the time, players can earn up to ten coins. Battle minigames appeared in Mario Party 2. The winners in those minigames gets a random amount. Duel minigames appeared in 2 but came back in 5. Players can wager coins or even stars, but for 7, the prize is randomly determined. Bowser minigames appeared in the fourth where players avoid his fire breath after losing. In the ninth game, Bowser Jr. challenges players to beat him. Winning grants you five mini-stars but losing means that he’ll take your stars. The car mechanic was introduced in 9 and 10. However, this received a lot of criticism, especially the lack of strategy in Mario Party 9. For this game, there is no car. Bonus stars may be awarded after reaching the end of the board.

New things keep Super Mario Party different and unique from the other titles. Since the game will be released on the Nintendo Switch, the game can only be played with one joy-con, which is a mini-controller that could be attached and reattached onto the main portable system. Super Mario Party is expected to have the capability to use online play, which is a first for the series. Players can compete online in the new “Online Mario-thon” mode. In this game mode, players compete in five randomly selected minigames to determine the overall winner. The online feature will feature leaderboards and a ranking system. Rewards will be given to players who play on this mode, although it is unknown. Apart from online play and nearly keeping the theme here, teams can play from different Switch systems and possibly create multi-monitor environments, which is downright cool in my opinion. The multi-monitor is only available in a game mode called “Toad’s Rec Room.” Speaking of Toad, he reprises his role as the host for Super Mario Party.

In a board game with spaces, rolling the dice, and moving to the End Space requires pieces. And the Mario characters are there to do just that. Characters like Mario, Luigi, Rosalina, Dry Bones, Boo, Koopa Troopa, Hammer Bro, Princess Peach, Princess Daisy, Yoshi, Donkey Kong, Shy Guy, Bowser, Wario and Waluigi are making a return to the Party. New characters include Bowser’s son, Bowser Jr. and Diddy Kong, which will be in the game after appearing in a few handheld games. Characters that have never been in a Mario Party playable character include Pom Pom, Goomba and Monty Mole. Miscellaneous features include that the game will not support the Nintendo Switch Pro Controller, which is basically a controller like the ones from XBOX and PlayStation.

Overall, this game is a good game to be in the series. New characters can be played while playing a board game. Players like you can play against others around the world. The Switch can do things we may or may not have seen before. I recommend that you get the game on the Switch and see the game for yourself.