Conclusion of the Football Playoffs

Star WR/DB Ethan Nation lines up on offense during Roswell’s game vs Cherokee. Credit: Ethan Nation’s Instagram

Sterling Hitchcock, Staff Writer

Roswell High School football concluded their playoff run on November 26th, following a devastating 24-14 defeat to the Grayson Rams. Although it was a heartbreaker, Roswell defied all odds to even be in this position. Let’s take a quick look at their astounding 2021 playoff run. 

Throughout the playoffs, it seemed the Hornets’ opponents were tougher than the last. Their playoff run opened with a dominating 52-8 win against Meadowcreek, Roswell ran away with this one rushing for 234 yards and three touchdowns as a team.

This was mostly in part to Sophomore Nykahi Davenport who single-handedly ran for 129 yards, averaging 12.9 yards per carry. Roswell followed up their game against Meadowcreek with a win against arguably their hardest opponent of the season in North Cobb.

The Hornets traveled to North Cobb and pulled off an improbable comeback led by QB Robbie Roper (Sr.) who threw for 288 yards without his top two leading receivers in Ethan Nation (Jr.) and Ethan Crite (Jr.).

Junior Chris Elko and Senior Shaun Spence led the way racking up a combined 198 yards alone on only 12 total catches. This game had a wild finish as North Cobb led by nine points with only a minute to go, against all odds, Roswell was able to force a turnover, get a quick touchdown, get the onside kick, and QB Robbie Roper ran in a touchdown on 4th and goal with no time on the clock. Their unlikely win against North Cobb set up their third-round matchup against Grayson where they’d lose a tight one 24-14.  

This is the end to one of the best seasons Roswell football has seen in years, the Hornets finished 10-3 with their only losses being close ones to Milton, Walton, and Grayson. This year’s team showed that the future is bright at Roswell, many young players stepped up and proved they have the potential to be elite and possibly play the next level. Not the way these players wanted the season to end but it was an incredible one without a doubt