Powderpuff Game Canceled Due To Low Enrollment

Emma Gugliemo, Staff Writer

Due to unfortunate circumstances, the annual powderpuff has been canceled this year, resulting in disappointed students across every grade level. Sponsored by the National Honor Society and Cure Club, this game has become one of the widespread and important traditions at Roswell High School.

Well, at least it used to be. 

Annie Guglielmo, a Roswell graduate from the class of 2019, reflects on how important the powderpuff game used to be. She wistfully says that it was the event of the year. Everyone who was anyone would either be in the bleachers cheering on their respective grade or on the playing field itself, let it be with pompoms or a football in hand. 

Emma Gugliemo
Students are hit with disappointment and confusion at the game’s cancellation

Powderpuff games refer to the specific take on a flag football game. Girls and guys switch stereotypical roles—the guys are the cheerleaders and the girls are the football players. The girls usually play an opposing grade level, such as seniors versus juniors and so on. Powderpuff provides a wholesome philanthropic reason to participate: the proceeds of the game go to charity. Cure Club, a school organization whose purpose is raising money towards cancer research, only recently started sharing the responsibility of planning Roswell High School’s own powderpuff a few years back with the National Honor Society. 

This year, the game was cancelled because of low attendance rates. The minimum number of sign-ups for the powderpuff game would have to be fourteen people, regardless of grade level. Ideally, there would be fourteen people from each grade with two games (seniors versus juniors and sophomores versus freshmen). Sadly, there were not enough people who signed up to make powderpuff happen.

For those who did sign up, however, and have questions about refunds, information is available. Refunds have started to be sent out, but it takes five to seven business days for the payment to register on the card. 

“I can only hope that this tradition doesn’t die out for good,” says senior Amanda Zimmer, the vice-president of Cure Club.