Catching Z’s to make A’s

Walking around the diverse halls of Roswell High School, one certain face is undeniably written all over students: exhaustion. Along with backpacks and book bags, students carry around deep-set eye bags and a tiredness that cannot be fixed then and there. Somehow, conversations in first period turn into a competition of who got the least amount of rest.

Education has many paradoxes, but one of the most unfortunate goes like this: students stay up late to study to do better in school, yet students who do not get enough sleep do worse in school. 

According to the National Sleep Foundation, only one in five adolescents get the optimal 9 hours sleep a night. So, amongst the sleepiness sweeping through schools across the nation, how are some ways to get better sleep?

1. Keep away from artificial lights. Exposure to natural light aligns with your circadian rhythm, aka your body’s 24-hour clock. When the sun goes down, your body starts to get tired too.

2. Get off of your phone! Exposure to the bright lights before bedtime once again messes up the circadian rhythm. 

3. Avoid taking long naps in the late afternoon

4. Drink milk. The long-told tale hyped up by parents is backed by scientific fact. Milk contains melatonin (the infamous sleeping hormone) and tryptophan, an amino acid that helps to regulate the sleep cycle.

5. Around 5pm, stop drinking caffeinated coffees and tea

6. To stay away from taking unwanted naps, do any work-related tasks outside of your bedroom. The temptation of slinking back into your bed is real, but it is manageable!