Football season ends on sour note

Rajath Prabhakar, Sports Editor

Another year, another lost season for the Roswell Hornets. The Varsity Football team saw their state title hopes unceremoniously taken from them by the Mill Creek Hawks, who beat them 41-17. 

Hornets Exorcise Demons, Win 1st Round Playoff Game

Roswell got the ball first, with runs from Saveon Mccrary (Senior), Ethan Roberts (Senior), and Ryan Hill (Sophomore) putting Roswell at the 47. However, Roberts couldn’t find Jacob Jarrett (Senior) on third down, and the Hornets had to punt. On the Hawks’ opening drive, Roswell had no answers for senior running back Chancellor Lee-Parker, who picked the Hornets apart to the tune of 45 yards on 4 carries. Mill Creek would score on senior Thurman Harris’ 5-yard run. 7-0 Mill Creek

Hudl

Roswell’s second possession stalled out after just 23 yards, forcing another punt. On the second play of Mill Creek’s drive, a high snap was recovered by Doneiko Slaughter (Senior), who returned it for a touchdown. Senior Brian Najar’s PAT sailed through the uprights, tying the game at 7-7. This was as good as things got for the Hornets. 

After Doneiko Slaughter’s touchdown, Chancellor Lee-Parker broke off a 42-yard touchdown run, regaining the lead for the Hawks. 14-7 Mill Creek. The Hornets managed to answer on the ensuing drive. After driving 57 yards in 8 plays, Caden Long (Junior) hit a 32-yarder to bring the Hornets within 4. 14-10 Mill Creek.  

Over the next 3 quarters, Mill Creek scored 27 unanswered points. Roswell had no answers for the Hawks’ running game, and kept shooting themselves in the foot with penalties. The offense continued to be stale and ineffective. In an interview with GPB’s Samuel Crenshaw, Coach Kemper said that “folks say we are a little conservative”. On Friday night, the Hornets’ conservative playcalling cost them a trip to the quarterfinals. After falling behind double digits, the Region 4 champs continued to drop 2 safeties, expecting Sophomore quarterback Thurman Harris to sling it deep. On offense, when the Hornets chose to pass, the offensive line failed to give Roberts time to throw, causing him to sail passes over receivers’ heads. 

Over the next year, the Hornets will have a lot of questions to answer. The most obvious one is one of replacing the seniors. Of the starters on the roster, 19 were seniors. The senior class played a big role in Roswell’s 2019 campaign, and next years’ roster will have big shoes to fill.