Track and Field 2019-2020

Sylvia Nelson, Staff Writer

Sylvia Nelson
Team sprint and positivity is the team’s goal and motto for the year and will hopefully bring them some medals and trophies.

I’m so excited for the upcoming season, we have the biggest group we’ve had in a long time and I’m so pumped to see how we all work together”

— Victoria Patterson

Runners on your marks, get set go! The 2019-2020 track and field season is gearing up. There are many new additions to the team as well as a whole new coaching staff. As the new head coach, Tim Feilen is in charge of the whole team and is pushing a positive and motivating attitude toward this season. Alongside him is Bob White, who has coached Roswell track and cross country for a while now. Tony Carpenter is a coach known around the world and across the nation for making stellar athletes so Roswell is glad to have him on the coaching staff. Drew Gant is the jumping coach. This season is going to be one you won’t want to miss, with over 65+ athletes.

“I’m excited about the upcoming season, but it’s definitely bittersweet knowing that this will be my last experience in high school sports,” said senior Abigail Mellor.

“I’m so excited for the upcoming season, we have the biggest group we’ve had in a long time and I’m so pumped to see how we all work together,” said senior Victoria Patterson.

The first meet of the season, the Marietta Distance Carnival, is Feb. 15. The next meets are the Hornet Eight Way at Roswell High School on Feb. 22 and the River Ridge dual meet at River Ridge on March 4., 6, and 7 is the Milton Showcase at Milton High School. March 14 is the River Ridge varsity meet at River Ridge High School, and on the same day is the Walton JV invitational at Walton High School. March 18 is the North GA JV Invitational at Milton High School and March 21 is the Roswell Relays.

If you need service or volunteer hours, see Coach Feilen to help with the meet. Volunteers are always needed at the Roswell Relays. March 25 is our senior night at Roswell High School, so come out and support our seniors! March 28 and 30 is the County Meet at Langston Hughes High School, while Apr. 16’s meet is against Centennial and Milton at Milton High School. Apr. 22 is the Lassiter Last Chance at Lassiter High School and then Apr. 29 and May 1 is the Region Meet at Roswell High School. May 9 sectionals’ location TBA. Berry College will hold the State Meet from May 14-16. Can’t wait to see you cheer on your Hornets’ track and field team!