Shifting focus of the National Honor Society has fostered mixed reactions

The four major values of the National Honor Society are character, scholarship, service, and leadership. photo creds: wikipedia

Emma Guglielmo

Change has become a permanent occurrence in the Roswell National Honor Society (NHS) branch. Subtle differences sweep the agenda, whether it’s leadership, organizations, or programs. 

One of the biggest shifts in NHS has been in its focus. This year, the club has localized a lot of its service to the Roswell community. Along with Mimosa Tutoring, Backpacks of Love, and others, NHS has started a new tradition: Shop with a Hornet. On Dec. 14th, around 20 children from Roswell North Elementary were paired up with Roswell students, where they went to Target to shop for holiday gifts. Afterward, there was a pizza party with a bunch of different activities and games. The kids flocked to the different setups such as face paint, Jenga, and the cupcake decorating station. To read more about this event, click the link here.

Another new opportunity that all Hornets can take advantage of is the student tutoring program. During lunches and study halls, NHS members can tutor fellow students. They usually take place in the media center, so keep an eye out if you need some academic help.

However, this is the first year that NHS has not partnered with Pennies for Patients, a national program sponsored by the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society to help the fight against cancer. Many students were disappointed when it was announced that Pennies for Patients would no longer be continued at Roswell High School, as many had participated in the organization since kindergarten. 

More so, that meant that student leadership roles in the organization had to be adjusted. What was once the Pennies for Patients officer was transformed into the Charity Fundraising Chair, which is now being changed into the Event Planner Chair for next year. As the new officer elections have just begun, click here to read the revised descriptions of each student leadership role. 

The National Honor Society’s members have some mixed feelings about these changes. 

“I love being able to directly see how our work affects our community. To be able to give back is wonderful,” says senior Lindsay Burgess, Vice President of NHS.

“I think NHS has become less active within the school. I feel like student leaders are also less involved in organizing activities within the school since the teacher leadership changed,” says senior Samantha Singer, Charity Fundraising Chair of NHS.

“I believe that it’s great that we are helping the community that we interact with on a daily basis,” says senior Saima Firoj, Secretary of NHS.