We should celebrate our differences

Maynor Chinchilla, Opinion Editor

There are a lot of differences in the world but are these differences bad or good? Our world is full of diversity where we can learn from each other’s differences. Sadly, not everyone thinks this way. A lot of people do not like other groups because of where they are from, their sexuality, or their mental illnesses. These are the reasons that we have many groups, communities, and clubs, like Hispanic Heritage Club, Gay-Straight Alliance Club, Environmental Club, Robotics, and more. These groups were created to help students find friends but often contain people who are all the same. This isn’t necessarily bad, because it is good to find some friends that think like you do.

Credit: Maynor Chinchilla
Different groups were created to help us feel better, but now that the groups are not being mixed anymore, the only way to communicate is by posters.

We can show our differences to the whole world because if we never show that we are different, the world will keep dividing into different groups, races, etc. So please, do not be scared to be who you are in public because everyone in the world is different. What makes you different makes you unique, perfect, and just like one of the other seven billion people on the planet, so don’t be scared.

Also, I know that people will always talk about your differences, but if you think about it, you will notice that people have always judged other people. Unfortunately, these harmful comments will never stop, even in the groups you feel most comfortable in.

To find out other opinions, the Roswell Sting interviewed students and teachers who have been discriminated against for many reasons, like their race, language, clothing, and education. One of the students interviewed was junior Frida Garcia. She has been discriminated against for her race, but she knows that her race is what makes her special. She also wants you to remember these words: “less hate and more love.”

Another student that has been discriminated against just for speaking another language is freshman Lesly Orellana. She moved from El Salvador to the U.S and did not speak English instantly. Some students made fun of her, but she learned to stop listening to those false and unimportant comments. She found that blocking out the mean comments helped her discover people will always make comments about other people, but they are not true because only you know yourself and your capabilities. She wants you to remember to “stop judging others.”

Librarian Ms. Phillips was born in a time where people hated her race. She was discriminated against everyday, but especially on the anniversary of Pearl Harbor, because her mother was Japanese. She thinks that we need to introduce our differences in society so that people don’t feel less than others. She wants you to “talk to people who don’t sound or look like you” to end this problem in society.

Sophomore Sara Elizabeth Herrera wants to remind people that money, sexuality, physical differences, or anything else does not matter because everyone has to treat others with respect. These differences do not have to matter in our society. Freshman Sanchez Yoli wants you to remember that nobody is “less or more” in this world.

Freshman Esbeidy Ruiz was discriminated against because of the way she dresses. How can we call our society modern if we discriminate against people just for the way they dress? Student Services assistant Ms. Carstens was discriminated against socially and educationally, but after listening to others, she found people that were not very different from her and this helped her to stop paying attention to mean comments. Please remember to not judge anyone because they have feelings just like you and their differences make a unique society.