Counselor therapy offered at RHS

Listed above are a variety of helplines to provide care and emergency services for kids, teens, and adults nationwide. Credit: Jakai Spikes

Jakai Spikes

Mental health is very crucial to our well-being as high school students and is taken very seriously by administration and teachers here at Roswell. In society, mental health awareness has become a widespread discussion as more children and adults have taken their lives. 

Walking in the halls, you can see posters taped up in almost every corner and bathroom, grabbing the attention of students and re-assuring them that, “everything will be okay” or “it’s okay to not feel okay.” Not only do these posters reassure kids to keep going and to push forward through life’s obstacles, but it also provides a reference of help when the individual’s brain is cloudy, causing them to not see any solution to their personal obstacles but self-harm.

The counselors’ office here at Roswell High School is a safe place to go to when life gets the best of you. The list of counselors are as stated: Drew Glover, who helps kids with last names that start with A-Col; Amy Short (Loo-Ng); Valerie Rodgers, the school social worker; Judy Bissett (Com-Gou); Malongo Mukenge (Nh-Se); Lauren Butler (Gov-Lon) and Jennifer Miner (Sf-Z). In order to make a sit down appointment with one of your counselors you have to complete the Appointment Request form in the Student Services Office.

If you were to email any of your counselors, they should respond in no less than 24 hours. Roswell High School is notorious for its “calm down” room located in the front of the counselors’ office. This room has dimmed lights, comfortable pillows, and is very quiet to allow you to come into tune with your inner thoughts. The counselors here are very attentive to their students’ personal needs, desires, and inner feelings. They will always guide you in the right direction, leaving any child going through turmoil leaving the office feeling at peace with themselves and the situation. 

Trust each counselor and realize that they have been through this journey before you, so they will give you the most responsible and loving way to cope with your internal issues. Don’t stop yourself from getting help, or try to talk yourself out of the most logical answer. Here at Roswell, we are a family! A true family, that cherishes each other’s hearts and lives. Leaving no student behind, no one goes unheard.