How people are reacting to the death of RBG

The death of Ruth Bader Ginsburg calls for remembrance and recognition of her many accomplishments. photo credit: Unsplash

Katherine Northenor

Reactions to the death of Ruth Bader Ginsburg (RBG) have been strong and respectful. She recently passed away on September 18, 2020 due to complications from metastatic cancer. Since then, she has been remembered by many for her several accomplishments throughout her life. 

Her career was devoted towards eliminating gender-based stereotypes and inequality. In 1993, RBG was appointed to the U.S. Supreme Court where she became the second woman to be seated on the bench in its 212 year history. 

Responses to the news of her death have been focused towards honoring the person she was, and the advancements she made towards furthering equality among men and women. 

Most reactions throughout the US have been centered around memorials dedicated to remembering RBG. CNN covered one of the larger memorials with hundreds of people coming out to pay their respects when stating, “People gather September 19 for a vigil outside of the New York State Civil Supreme Court building. The spire of One World Trade Center was lit blue in her honor.”

Celebrities are also sharing their responses to the loss of such an influential figure through social media. Insider.com shared how actor Robert Downey Jr. paid his respects to RBG through posting on Twitter a picture of Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg with the caption, “Fight for the things you care about, but do it in a way that will lead others to join you. RIP, RBG.” The Avengers star is not only expressing his appreciation for her determination in fighting for what she believed was right, but also calls out to others to lead by her example and speak up for their beliefs. 

Teens and young adults have also spoken out about their responses to the devastating announcement. Sophomore at Roswell High School, Taryn Peebles, explains her reaction to hearing of the death of Ruth Bader Ginsburg when saying, “I was shocked and scared to be a woman.” 

Peebles is expressing her concerns about whether the person who is chosen to fill her spot will support and fight for gender equality with as much passion and commitment as RBG did. As of now, no one has been specifically chosen to fill her position (although there is a nominee) which leaves a sense of uncertainty in those fighting for women’s rights and other social injustices. 

Another student at RHS, sophomore Nicole Powichroski, described her saddening reaction to the event when stating, “I am truly devastated because she paved such an important path for feminism and equal rights.” 

Similarly to Peebles, Powichroski also shares that she is worried about the decision for who will replace RBG. She expresses this when saying, “Ruth Bader Ginsburg was such a powerful woman and I can only hope that whoever fills her seat will represent her name well, and fight for social injustices just as much as she did.” This decision is very important and plays a major role in the advancement of not only women’s rights but overall equality for everyone in the United States. 

Although RBG is no longer in our presence, her advancements towards gender equality will live on and never be forgotten.
Photo credit: WFULawSchool

Ruth Bader Ginsburg left a huge impact on history, and her legacy will be remembered for a long time to come. She helped support those fighting for equality and changed millions of people’s lives with her rulings. As Nicole Powichroski states, “Her accomplishments will always be influential, especially because it allows some individuals to be where they are today.”

For more information about the next Supreme Court Justice nominee to replace RBG visit Nicole Powichroski’s article by clicking here.