How students are feeling about going back regularly to in-person school

Katherine Northenor, Staff Writer

Fulton County Schools has just implemented the final phase of COVID-19 precautions for schools throughout the district, and students are having mixed feelings about the transition. All students and staff are going in-person to school full time now, with the exception of those who chose to stay online the rest of the first semester. Face-to-Face school has impacted students in many positive ways, but also some negatives as well. 

Sophomore at Roswell High School, Gracie Keith, describes her feelings about coming back physically to school with all of their classmates when stating, “I’m happy to be back in the school building and finally involved again. It’s good to be able to socialize and see my classmates/friends again.” 

Keith is excited to be back in person because she has missed that interaction with friends and classmates that makes school fun. This is one of the major benefits to how being physically back in school has impacted many students for the better. While stuck at home all day in quarantine, students didn’t receive that same human interaction with their friends, which in turn made school less interesting. 

Students are excited about returning to Face-to-Face school because they get to see their friends/classmates, which provides the social interaction they have been lacking during online school.
Photo Credit: Katie Northenor

Another student at RHS, sophomore Ellery Eicher, shares her feelings about going back to school by saying, “I feel that going back in-person is great, but at the same time I have gotten so used to online school that it’s hard to transition back so suddenly.” 

Many students have been in isolation these past few months, so suddenly going back to school has taken a toll on them both physically and mentally. Eicher is expressing how she got so used to being in quarantine that one of the struggles she is facing during this time is transitioning back into physical school. This is due to students not being used to interacting in such a highly social environment.

Roswell High student Bryna Gibbons(10) expressed her feelings towards the return of all students back to in-person classes when she stated, “Stressed but safe. My workload has increased significantly, but I do think the school is managing the virus well.”

While students have been issued to go back to school regularly, there are many differences to pre-coronavirus schooling that are impacting students in various ways.
Photo Credit: visoot

For many students the workload has dramatically increased since students’ return. Gibbons feels safe while attending school due to the precautions being taken by the district. Face-to-Face has caused the school day to be extended from 40-minute classes during online school to 55 minutes, and therefore students don’t have as much time after school to get their homework done. This has negatively affected many students because they feel overwhelmed with the amount of work being given to them and overall more stressed. 

Additionally, Gibbons describes how well the schools have been handling the coming back of students to physical school. There have been many safety precautions put in place to ensure the safety of both students and staff, and it has helped create a positive environment that makes everyone feel safe. 

Wearing masks throughout the school day, mandatory social distancing in between classes, and a staggered schedule to control the release of students from classes are among the many precautions that have been put in place. This safety is key to making students and faculty feel comfortable when returning to school. 

As of now, students’ feelings are leaning more towards positive rather than negative about going back to in-person school regularly. As Bryna Gibbons states, “In-person has been very beneficial because I saw many positives come out of the transition, such as my grades improving and I find it easier to learn and stay engaged in class.”

If you would like to learn more about how teachers are being impacted by this change, and how they are handling having both online and face-to-face students back in the classroom check out Ashley Meyer’s article by clicking here