Review of The 84th Masters Tournament

Go to Masters.com on your cell phone or computer to view highlights, scores, and information about the big win of the Masters.
Photo credit: Gracie Ross

Go to Masters.com on your cell phone or computer to view highlights, scores, and information about the big win of the Masters. Photo credit: Gracie Ross

Gracie Ross, Staff Writer

The Masters tournament started Thursday Nov 12 and included 92 players, all of whom dreamed of slipping on the famed green jacket on Sunday. Many golf fans were beyond excited to watch the first round. There were many things fans could do to prepare for the tournament. Fans were able to go to the new “My Group” channel and create their own personalized featured group and watch every shot from their favorite players. Fans could also get the famous pimento cheese egg salad and other patron favorites delivered to them in time for Sunday’s final. Fans were able to watch on their TV, at Masters.com or on the Masters app.

Roswell High School golfers have many opinions about the Masters. Roswell golfer and Masters lover Caroline Loftus, says “I love to watch the Masters every year. It is always the best tournament to watch for the PGA, but this year it was so different because there are not any spectators. Even though I am not there in person, the tournament is not the same without seeing people at the Masters.” Even without spectators, the Masters in Augusta, Ga promised to deliver even more drama with 10 players separated by a single shot in a weekend filled with possibilities.

This tournament was like no other, after being moved from April to November. The first round’s leader was Paul Casey, with Webb Simpson in second, third place Xander Schauffele, Justin Thomas in fourth, and in fifth, Hideki Matsuyama. Tiger Woods picked up where he left off as reigning champion, tallying three birdies in a four-hole stretch on his opening nine. Woods finished his round with eight consecutive pars after a birdie on a par-4. Bryson was also most watched due to struggling to find the fairway for much of his round on Thursday, but he made a comeback late with a trio of birdies on his second nine. Paul Casey lead the field with a personal best of 65.

In Round 2, Tiger Woods had an up-and-down round. He ultimately finished at one under par for the round. While Woods could not match his Round 1 showing, he had five under par overall. In Round 2, many eyes were focused on the U.S Open Champion Bryson DeChambeau. With shocking results, Abraham Ancer finished in the lead in Round 2.

On Saturday, Dustin Johnson’s 65 put him at 16-under for the tournament and tied Jordan Spieth’s scoring record through 54 holes. Just like that, in Round 3, the tournament turned into a one man show. Johnson looked every bit the part on Saturday and was racing away from a five-way shared lead. The efforts Johnson showed were clearly Masters-winning material.

Sunday was the final round of the tournament. The defending champion, Tiger Woods, was back but he faced all kinds of challenges. Dustin Johnson was predicted to win at the start of Sunday’s round. Johnson scored a birdie on one hole and bogeyed the next to fall to 15 under for the round, giving him a one-stroke lead over Sungjae. Later, Johnson birdied two holes. He carded four straight pars before hitting three straight birdies on Holes 13 through 15. He finished with a score of 33.  Dustin Johnson won the 2020 Masters and set a new scoring record. He set a scoring record at 20 under par, which was two strokes better than the former record held by Tiger Woods and Jordan Spieth. Johnson grew up just an hour away in South Carolina and has now became the first No. 1 to win the event since Woods back in 2001. The tournament ended with Dustin Johnson winning and slipping on the gorgeous green jacket.