How senior Hayley Newton made the most of her time at Roswell High

Hayley Newton enjoys a nice summer day, finding the light in the midst of the pandemic. Picture by Hayley Newton

Savannah Young, Staff Writer

When senior Hayley Newton was first told to repeat the phrase, “I’m going to do my best; my best is all that I can do; and sometimes my best can surprise me”, by her former theatre instructor, Ms. Stern, she never thought that she would be repeating the saying to herself to this day. 

Hayley Newton has always been an active member of her community. She’s not only the Co-President of Thespian Troupe 4205 and the Executive Co-President (alongside Keirstan Capurso) of the Roswell High student council but a camp counselor during the summer. On top of that, she’s an activist. 

Newton has always had an interest in music. She knows how to play a variety of instruments, including the guitar and piano and enjoys singing, especially in RHS’ Thespian troupe.

Hayley Newton, co-executive president, with fellow members of the RHS student council.
Picture by Roswell High School Student Council

“I’ve been a part of the Thespian Troupe for four years now.” Newton said, “And I wouldn’t trade it for the world. I’ve loved the experience.”

And, while music and theater are a big part of her life at RHS, she’s also in another organization at the schoolthe student council. 

Newton has been a member of the student council for four years now, now serving as the executive co-president. 

She’s a strong believer that anyone can be a part of the student council. “I think the student council has a place for everybody.” She stated, “Whether you petition to be a representative or an officer, everyone’s welcome.” 

And, although Newton is an active member of the RHS community, she enjoys doing activities outside of the school, too. 

“I’m a counselor at my camp in Dahlonega during the summerbut it’s not official until I finish one year of college.” She said, “I’ve been going there for six years but COVID prevented me from going this yearStill, it’s a fun little getaway when school lets out.” 

Newton said that camp has helped shape who she is today. “It’s a big part of who I am.” She said, “It taught me leadership and responsibilitysomething I’m grateful for.” 

It also taught her how to make friendship bracelets, one of her many outside-of-school hobbies. “It’s kind of become an obsession, in a way.” She stated, “I love making them. It kind of helps me relieve stress and spread a little positivity. I mean, my arms are usually covered with them!” 

Newton isn’t new to making friendship bracelets. She was taught how to make them at camp—and it’s become a way to relieve stress.
picture by Hayley Newton

When Newton isn’t making friendship bracelets, you can find her taking nature walks and having picnics with her friends. “I love being outside.” She said, “I didn’t really enjoy it when I was younger, but I appreciate it so much more now. Especially since COVID hit.” 

Although 2020 hasn’t been the greatest year, it inspired Newton to go into politics in college.  “2020 has been one of the most challenging years to date.” She said, “But it’s also helped me determine what I want to do in the world. That’s why I want to go into politics.” 

One of the driving factors for Newton’s decision to go into politics is the racial injustice that’s occurred this year alone, not to mention past years. “We need change.” Newton said, “We need to make a change. We need to be the change. If not now, when? We’re the generation that can end this, I know it.”  

Newton currently plans to move away from Roswell, though she still wants to stay down south. “I love Georgiait’s my home, it’s where I grew up.” She stated, “But I want to go to college somewhere out of state, maybe in Tennessee. I haven’t decided yet, but I do know that whatever I wind up doing, Georgia will always have a special place in my heart.