How students plan to adapt to Spring Semester

As we head into the next hybrid semester, students are looking for ways to improve themselves based on the last year. Picture by Deniz Ilksoy

Denis Ilksoy, Staff Writer

Unfortunately, as we swing into full steam for the second semester, the Covid-19 cases have spiked to well over 640,000 according to the Georgia Department of Public Health. This means that we are stuck with our modified school system which has many implications for students depending on their scenario. 

Since students cannot change their circumstances for the Spring semester, the best chance we have collectively is to use what we have learned in the last year and adapt to the situation for the coming months. Plenty of students, both online and in person already have good plans as to how they intend to survive this year. 

One in person student, senior Anjala Sivanadan, is no stranger to the struggle that the pandemic has brought on school life. Since she isn’t able to experience a traditional senior year like normal, the school semester comes across as grim and discouraging. But, despite these hardships she says, “I’m trying not to procrastinate as much and have a better attitude about the whole school situation, because while losing my senior year sucks, I’m trying to focus on the positive aspects of everything.”

For others, such as junior Clay Butler, running a tight ship and prioritizing school and mental health is the key for the coming year. He says that “This semester I’ll be changing my approach to school by getting an extra hour of sleep, doing all my formative assignments even if they’re not graded, and learning in-person.” His plan is to mimic a regular school year so it will feel much more natural especially as he gears up for AP exams at the end of the semester. Clay is striving to complete every one of his assignments to make himself a more productive student and in turn, receive better grades. While academic plans are vital, mental health is a huge problem for most and can impede the school year greatly. To aid this, Clay plans to get an extra hour of sleep to stay sharp and healthy, mainly because for most juniors alike, studying and homework can make for some long and late nights.

How about improving on personal goals other than just school? Junior, Thomas Chritton says,  “I would like to improve my swimming race times. I’m aiming for junior national cuts and believe it will help me develop more proactive habits for 2021.” A great way to improve yourself this coming year is to try and focus on all aspects of your life whether it be sports, hobbies, or clubs that can provide you with a positive improvement in mental health and personal well-being.

Though, what each student is going through can be in no way more different, we can help each other by sharing our strategies and solutions to the obstacles we face this coming year. Things can be, and most likely will be, tough and unfamiliar, but it’s important to remain true to oneself and prioritize what is important in our lives. Keep up hope, and remember that struggling through anything, yet overcoming it, is a sure sign of growth and improvement.