Intercepting nationwide attention

+Number+19%2C+Ethan+Nation%2C+and+his+coaches+and+teammates+on+the+sideline+after+a+great+drive.+photo+by%3A+Lee+Ann+Lednik

Number 19, Ethan Nation, and his coaches and teammates on the sideline after a great drive. photo by: Lee Ann Lednik

Gabby Lerner

Playing under the lights on Friday nights is the dream of all football players. Collegiate ball is another dream that will become a reality in two years for Sophomore, Ethan Nation. 

Nation has been playing football for ten years and does not see himself stopping anytime soon. In his 2020-2021 Sophomore season, Nation received over twenty offers from major Division One schools. Some of the schools he’s gotten offers from are The University of Georgia, University of Southern California, Penn State, Oregon, Auburn, Miami and more. However, Nation is waiting to draw in his top three schools: Alabama, Florida and Clemson. 

Since being interviewed, Nation has received an offer from one of his top three schools, the University of Florida.

Nation was surprised about his first offers and explained how good it felt that all of his hard work is starting to pay off. However, he did share that it is a lot of work to keep up with the media and all of the attention he is drawing. 

Although Nation has gotten so many offers from colleges, he still has two years of high school football left to play, but he is not worried about living up to expectations.

“I think that I have prepared myself this year enough to just go out and play football like it’s second nature. I’m not really worried, but I know it is going to be a target on my back at all times because I’m such a young kid with all these offers.”

Nation in his sophomore season had nineteen tackles and eight interceptions. He averaged an interception almost every game and led 7A schools in interceptions this year. 

Nation hopes to leave a mark on Roswell High School by winning Georgia player of the year, making first team all state, having one thousand receiving yards and setting a school record. 

Nation celebrating with a fellow teammate after making a big play. photo by: Lee Ann Lednik

Ethan Nation eventually wants to play in the National Football league, but will always be a Hornet at heart.

To see all the schools Nation has gotten offers from click here.

In his first year as Roswell’s head coach, Chris Prewett, is “extremely impressed” with the talent Nation displays. He believes that the offers Nation has racked up is due to all of the hard work he puts in on and off the field. 

Coach Prewett explained, “Ethan has a very high football IQ which is tough to find with football players, especially sophomores. Ethan can contribute on offense, defense, and special teams.”

He described Nation as a great teammate and is always happy and proud of his other teammates’ success. 

Coach Prewett also shared that recruiters have come to visit Nation and have learned about Roswell’s advanced football program and have met other players on the team. “When a college coach comes to Roswell to see Ethan or any other student-athlete, these recruiters have the opportunity to learn about our wonderful program and all of the fantastic student-athletes we have on our football team.”

Coach Prewett concluded that, “Our number one goal in our program is to produce young men of character into our society and ensure our football players graduate high school. If Ethan continues to work hard and stay focused, he will achieve that goal as well as his on the field goals.”