Teaching in a Covid World

We may think a teacher’s job can be easy but only they know their own point of view. Picture by Maynor Chinchilla.

Maynor Chinchilla, Editor - People Page

Covid-19 has changed everyone’s world, causing struggles, and forcing us to adapt to new ways of seeing and acting in life. Sadly for teachers in Fulton County, the pandemic has forced them to learn a new way of teaching. In Fulton County, the school year started with virtual classes that had a lot of problems. Teachers had a rough start because many did not know how to manage the apps used by the county for virtual learning. However, as people say, practice makes everything better and now a lot of teachers are able to use the apps without problems.

Fulton County has given students the opportunity to stay home or go back to school. This makes it harder for the teachers because they have to be teaching to students who were in the classroom and also to the students who were at home virtually. 

While teachers are talking to people in the classroom, they have to make sure people from home can hear them through the virtual meeting or video chat. Teachers also have to find ways to share their screen with the students at home, so they could see power points, word documents etc. 

Today, teachers know a lot about how to manage the apps and share their screens with students, but the struggles have not stopped. For example, sometimes teachers forget to unmute their microphones and students who are at home cannot hear what is being said. This may seem funny for some, but is one of the many difficulties teachers experience. 

In order to know how it feels to have these kinds of  problems, and if the new way of teaching may be frustrating, the Roswell Sting interviewed some teachers at Roswell High School.

In today society a lot of changes have occur thankfully technology have help us get through this hard times.
Picture by Maynor Chinchilla.

To begin the interview we ask Ms. Garner, an English teacher, to rate school right now on a scale from 1-10 one being the best, and ten being the worst. Ms. Garner says that at this moment she gives school a four, but at the beginning she gives school an eleven which tells us how much struggle she has to fight against. In order to tell us how she feels everyday she gives us the example that teaching in today’s different world feels like, “driving and brushing your teeth at the same time”. One thing that she would say would make her job better would be if students could turn on their cameras in order to see their faces and know the way they are feeling about the topics she is teaching them. She says that this would make her job better because sometimes students feel scared to say that they are not understanding something, or that they are having struggles. Ms. Garner uses the words “challenging, rewarding, and flexible”  to describe the way she feels about school.

Ms. Garner also says that it is very difficult to treat virtual and face to face students equally. This statement was also agreed to by Ms. Gorman, a world language teacher at Roswell High School. Both of them are doing anything they can in order to make both groups of students equal and making them want to learn.

Ms. Gorman told the Roswell Sting that she is giving prizes for students who do their school work. She is driving to her student’s house to put the prizes on the mailbox so her students feel motivated about learning. Ms. Gorman also says that school teaching has become really difficult for her because she has come to the school in the middle of the school year, thankfully other teachers have helped her and given her advice. Ms. Gorman also says that she feels sad about the fact that she may not connect with students the same way that she used to do. Her three words to describe teaching in today’s world are, “I am worried” or “We are worried” about “students mental health, and education.” 

To discover Roswell Student’s Feelings Towards in School Covid Safety read Nicole Powichroski’s article here.

To read about how students plan to adapt to Spring Semester read Denis Ilksoy’ article here.