Zero inductees for 2021 baseball Hall of Fame

There were no new inductees for the 2021 MLB HOF, this the first time since 1960.
Photo Credit: cbssports.com

There were no new inductees for the 2021 MLB HOF, this the first time since 1960. Photo Credit: cbssports.com

Grady Johnson, Staff Writer

Each and every year there are MLB (Major League Baseball) players entered into the HOF (Hall Of Fame). A former athlete’s hard work and effort throughout their career will pay off if his stats are good enough to be elected. For the first time since 1960 and only the seventh time that this has happened since the first election in 1936, there are no current inductees. For the 25 players of the 2021 class, no player had exceeded the 75% minimum to be entered in. Starting pitcher Curt Schilling, in his one of his last years on the ballot, came closest as he fell short with 71% of votes received.

As Curt Schilling has a very compelling case to be a HOFer the voters have not been persuaded to vote him in yet. With 216 wins, 3,116 strikeouts, a 3.46 ERA, 127 ERA+ and 4.38 strikeout-to-walk ratio in 3,261 career innings in the regular season, as well as a lifetime 11-2 record and 2.23 ERA in 19 postseason starts. Schilling had stated “I don’t think I’m a Hall of Famer as I’ve often stated but if former players think I am then I’ll accept that with honor.”

With the history of the MLB HOF with its brief and short-lived history of racism, the MLB has taken a step into pushing for a broader, more open mind on equality for all sexualities and races. Narrowly in many cases they have taken a stand against candidates that have insufficient integrity.  Many MLB fans have their views on whether Curt Schilling and many other HOF’s were racist or had views towards things that the voters did not like or thought was very unprofessional.

As many believe that Curt Schilling, Barry Bonds, and Roger Clemens deserve to be in the HOF, they come up short once again. Two of the players, Barry Bonds and Roger Clemens, had used substances during the period called the Steroid Era, but many people agree that they deserve to be inducted in. Even though they had cheated they had changed it and excited people to watch.

Although they were not elected to the MLB HOF it was an absolute gift for all MLB fans to witness how they had changed the game, “I believe that they all deserved to be inducted into the HOF their stats not only showed it but how they handled themselves on and off the field as well,” states sophomore Kyle Smith.