Battle of the Baking Products

No more dusty, flour-covered skin! The adjustment from flour to powdered sugar is a delicious treat! Photo Credit: Bill Goff

Claire Mulkey

Adolescents donning neon colored tanktops and t-shirts scream as they are saturated in a cloud of white flour, while the stands erupt in cheers as the football launches through the air. Faces, hair, and clothes are coated in the dry white powder. Coughs echo in the freshmen section from the mouths of unfortunate newcomers who have not yet learned to hold their breath during the descent of the cloud. Videos are shared, photos are taken, and the game has begun!

Roswell High School has gained a reputation for its traditions, unique to the school and envied by others. Blessed Trinity has become a copycat of most Roswell traditions as they struggle to develop their own school culture separate from their neighbors half a mile away. Milton High School has adopted Roswell’s tradition of seniors wearing camouflage, whether in jealousy or in mockery, no one is sure. 

Traditions are meant to endure the test of time, repeated year after year until no one can remember why exactly the tradition itself was started. The signature flour toss began in 2010, but it seems much more established in Roswell history. In fact, most students believed the flour toss had been around for multiple decades!

However, as Gen-Z has learned (and taught other generations), some traditions are meant to be changed. Therefore, the class of 2022 has decided that next year, as seniors, confectioner’s sugar will be thrown at Friday night kickoffs, instead of flour. This move has been celebrated by some for its display of individuality and refusal to conform. Others have praised the health benefits of sugar over flour, as well as the taste. However, this decision has not gone completely unchallenged. 

“I mean, you can’t just change it! My friend Katie told me they just decided, but like, why? I just don’t see a problem with the flour. We’ve always done it that way,” says junior Constance Whiney. She joins a group of older alumni who have spoken out against the rising seniors’ decision. 

Roswell class of 2010 alum Manny Childers vents his anger towards the class of 2022 as he explains “not everything has to be changed. Flour is what we started and now they want to take away our tradition. It’s like they don’t even care about us and everyone else before them. They only care about themselves. That’s what happens with all this social media and selfies. I used to love watching the flour toss when I was standing on the field, getting hyped for the game. It’s not fair to take that feeling away from the football players.” Whitney Sweet, a fellow Roswell High alum, says that she “always loved the flour toss when I was in high school, but I understand if they want to change it. I’ll support the students no matter what!”

Multiple Facebook and LinkedIn groups have been started by alumni trying to raise awareness to the crisis they allege Roswell High School is currently experiencing. Of course, no students are members of these groups because they are neither middle-aged nor aging millennials. 

Though the class of 2022 is being bombarded with backlash regarding their revolutionary decision, they have allies within the school. In fact, most students agree with the adjustment. Freshman Sweetie Lewis wholeheartedly supports the new tradition: “At first, I hated it. Everyone loves the flour! But then I realized, this would mean sugar, floating down through the air, where I can stick my tongue out and drink it in like snow! Now, I totally love it. I’m so excited for next year when they start the tradition!” The adjusted tradition will definitely be a hit amongst those who possess a sweet tooth.

The costs are also a bonus- powdered sugar is usually less expensive than all-purpose flour. However, powdered sugar is packaged in much smaller bags than flour, so more bags will likely need to be purchased. Some parents of Roswell have offered to donate bags of powdered sugar, saying that no one really uses powdered sugar, except to make food look pretty, but flour is in everything, so it’s much harder to give away. This way, the decoration is being sacrificed, not the actual composition of the food.

Some students are so on-board with the changing traditions that they believe more changes are in order. No progress is enough! Senior Libby Chee explains to the Sting that not only does she want the flour gone, but the camo as well. “Personally, I just don’t think wearing camouflage sends the right message. Like, we want all the schools that play us to think we are murderous hunters? I know I don’t. I already protest the camo by wearing leopard print on Fridays. Sorry, I just don’t want to associate myself with a pattern that represents animal rights’ abuse and senseless bloodshed,” Chee says. 

Though the decision is highly contested from many sides, it is ultimately up to the students to decide the course that traditions take. If the class of 2022 does not want to observe the flour toss or traditional senior camo, they do not have to. They may implement a powdered sugar toss and senior leopard print if that is what they desire. Traditions are traditions, not rules. They are not set in stone and they are not enforceable. Who knows? Decades later, if other senior classes decide they do not like powdered sugar thrown at football games, they may throw baking powder instead.