COVID-19 impact on away games

Here are some basic things to remember when on a bus to stay COVID-19 safe. Photo by livingstone range school division.

David Blanton, Staff Writer

Spring sports have taken different protocols than usual due to the impact of COVID-19. One thing majorly affected by the virus is traveling for away games. Traveling is made more complicated now as guidelines still need to be followed but this can be hard to do while on a school bus. Whilst some players may have the option to travel to the away games with their parents, others may not, as games are during the week and this can conflict with parents’ schedules. In response to this, teams have had to make some adjustments to make traveling on the bus safer. 

Every time they have an away game where bus travel is needed, the coach is required to ask players questions related to COVID-19 symptoms before they leave. Coaches ask questions such as “Have you been to a COVID-19 hotspot recently, are you waiting for COVID-19 test results, have you experienced any symptoms in the last 24 hours?” The coach also checks the temperature of each player before away or home games. When it comes to being on the bus, players are required to wear their masks at all times including when they are at the school’s facility. Sophomore Samuel Valencia uses the bus as transportation as well as many of the others on the boys’ varsity soccer team. Hear how these protocols have affected him and others on the team in this audio clip:

Athletes playing sports at Roswell High School seem to be dealing with traveling fairly well. The coaches of the teams have maintained the protocols that they have been given as well. Knowing this, in conclusion, the circumstances of COVID-19 have affected traveling for athletes at Roswell High School less and less over the course of their seasons as it has become natural to them. As in the audio, Samuel Valencia says, “It hasn’t affected high school soccer that much but we’ve had to be more careful.” To see more ways on how athletes can avoid COVID-19 while traveling with their teams and in general, see here.