Hornets Fly to the Playoffs

The boys celebrating their win after Beating North Gwinnett in the first round of playoffs. Photo Credit: Ansley Tanner

Ansley Tanner, Editor - News Page

The girls and boys varsity soccer teams went into playoffs with a strong start. Both teams entered with high hopes to advance far into the tournament. Going into the state playoff tournament, the boys had a 6-10-2 record in the regular season and the girls had a 12-3-1 record. 

The boys varsity team, coached by Gabe Chapman entered the playoffs as the fourth seed and upset North Gwinnett High School who won their region. With a goal from Junior Beau Thacker and a penalty kick from Senior Daniel in regular time, the boys kept the score tied throughout the 80 minutes. The game went all the way through overtime and into penalty kicks where the win was clenched. This is an incredible accomplishment and moved the Hornets into the second round of playoffs. 

In the second round of the tournament, the boys faced Denmark High School, a tough opponent. They held the score to 0-0 until halftime. In the second half, the Denmark Danes scored three goals against the Hornets. This unfortunately concluded the boy’s season for the 2021 year. It was a successful season and the Hornets have lots to be proud of. They made it far with a relatively young team and only two seniors left by the end of the season. For these seniors, this game could have been the last game ever played with their teammates and Coach Gabe. The team has high expectations moving into the 2022 season as the team is currently filled with many juniors and sophomores. These players will advance their skill this summer and fall during the club season and come back next spring even stronger. Hopefully they will be able to move further into the playoff tournament next season. 

The Lady Hornets, led by head coach Dardan Latifi won their AAAAAAA region and played Peachtree Ridge High School in the first round. After defeating them 2-1 with goals from Sophomore Lauren Connelly and Junior Captain Adleigh Wheeler, the team advanced to the Sweet Sixteen. 

In this second round, the girls beat Norcross High School 3-2 in overtime. With goals from Junior Captain Adleigh Wheeler, Junior Bailey Oetinger, and Sophomore Katie Northenor, they were able to earn the win. This was an amazing comeback as the girls were down 0-2 in the second half of the match. They came back by putting 3 perfect balls into the net. The reward of this hard fought game brought the Lady Hornets to the Elite Eight conference. This success left them as the only team on both the girls and boys brackets left in the tournament from their region. This is a phenomenal accomplishment and has not been done at Roswell in over 3 years. 

The Lady Hornets celebrating after their win over Norcross in the sweet sixteen. Photo Credit: Ansley Tanner

The Hornets take on Harrison High School on Tuesday at Harrison. Harrison has won their past two playoff games 10-0 and 6-0. This upcoming game has high stakes and should be a competitive matchup. Regarding this Elite Eight game, Roswell girls varsity head coach Dardan Latifi said, “They have no idea we’re coming in hot. We have been tested every week. We’re coming.” If the Lady Hornets win this game they will advance to the final four. Good luck girls!