Roswell Baseball Season Recap

8 seniors leave their legacy on hornet baseball, finishing their high school careers in 2021. Photo Credit: Roswell Baseball Twitter

Luke Hicks, Staff Writer

The Roswell Varsity Baseball team ended their season on 4/22, beating Alpharetta by a score of 9-7The previous game, Roswell hosted the Milton Baseball team in a heated rivalry matchup. Roswell went down 6-1 but put up a hard-fought game. Starter Trip Dovale gave up three runs in the first and the offense could not keep up. The crowd noise was exceptional as multiple other Roswell sports teams came out to support. The game got chippy as opposing fans started directing cheering onto each other and the umpires had to stop it from going further. Roswell’s one run was due to a check swing confusion, allowing the runner on third to score with two outs left. Despite the loss, Roswell players are excited for the upcoming season. Sophomore Will Harrison has mixed feelings about the Hornet’s future. He believes next season could go either way. Stevn Vrolijk, Trip Dovale, Caleb Parmele, Nick Claerbout and Riley Slaughter will be seniors, leading this team which also has a ton of young studs. Will believes Adam Mckelvey and Graham Pinniger will have breakout sophomore seasons and current sophomore Alex Johnson will continue his dominance on the mound. Uncertain about upcoming freshman, Will says, “Anything can happen.” 

The Hornets ended their season with a win, sending the seniors off on their last game ever in a hornet uniform. Photo Credit: MaxPreps

The team finished 8-21, 5th in the region. They came in front of Alpharetta and just behind rival Milton. Milton claimed playoff berth after their last two wins of the season and ended Alpharetta’s as well as Roswell’s chances. Roswell’s wins came against Wheeler, North Springs, North Atlanta, Alpharetta, Milton, and Woodstock. The team is hoping for a better record in the upcoming year which will almost certainly give them a shot at the playoffs.  

Missing the playoffs by one game, the Hornets have a lot to look forward to with their young team on the rise. Photo Credit: MaxPreps

Many players contributed to the team, but pitchers seemed to be dominated by three starters. Trip Dovale, Elliot Esposito, and Adam Mckelvey. Dovale led Hornets in innings pitched at 52.2, while Esposito followed at 49 and Mckelvey neared at 26.2. Closer Alex Johnson led the team in ERA with a .955 mark, severely outperforming the next candidate by over 1.2 runs and 200 pitches. Johnson feels that pitching was the teams strongest asset this year. However, he believes that the pitching was, “all over the place this year; next year it will be more compact.” After his ERA team leading season, Johnson thinks he can do it again next year. “That’s always the goal.” he says. Contenders were only considered if they had over 100 pitches.  

Hitting seemed to be the issue for the hornets this year, holding a team average of .192. Only seven players hit over .200, and not a single hornet came over the .300 mark. Steven Vrolijk led the hornets in BA, sitting at .259. Vrolijk also led in total hits. Freshman Pitcher/1B Adam Mckelvey led the team in homeruns at 2, beating out Slaughter, Whitworth and Claerbout by one homerun. OBP was quite uplifting, proving that this squad can get on base without hitting the ball in play. Most players were over .300 and Freshman Adam Mckelvey led in another offensive stat, finishing at .422 on base percentage. Mckelvey was humble after being asked about his OBP lead, saying, “My sample size was small, I think the guys that got more at bats could have had my numbers or higher if they were in my position.” After being questioned on his power behind the plate, Adam was super grateful that he even got his shot with the upperclassmen. “It was awesome hitting 2 (homeruns) on varsity. I didn’t get very many hits on varsity anyways, but those homeruns definitely felt great.”