Outer Banks… No Thanks 

Alexandra Wiggins, Staff Writer

The long-awaited show that was popular during the first COVID-19 quarantine has finally released season two.

Outer Banks season two received a lot of mixed reviews after a popular first season. (Credit: Netflix)

Ever since the show was aired, there have been a series of mixed reviews. Some believe that this season was even more extravagant than the last, while others don’t see it as quite what they were expecting.

Season two begins right where season one left off. John B and Sarah Cameron are covertly in the Bahamas looking for the long-lost gold that Ward Cameron (Sarah’s dad) supposedly has hidden in the family’s multi-million-dollar mansion. They run into some minor troubles here, Rafe (Sarah’s psychopathic brother) and Ward come looking for John B and Sarah because they are suspicious of the activity at the house. 

This basically unravels the whole plotline of the story revealing some uncovered truths of the past not only in the Cameron family, but also Pope’s (a pogue) family as well. Pope finds that he has a relationship with the Royal Merchant Treasure, and realizes that he is also related to Denmark Tanny, who was the only person who survived the Royal Merchant sinking, which meant that he was the previous holder of all the hidden treasures of the past. This also brings about other main conflicts between characters in the story which causes difficulty.  

While this show is filled with climatic excitement and an interesting group of characters, it is unrealistic, predictable, and ill-fated. The characters who are supposed to act as 16-year-olds, are dealing with impractical conditions and do not seem like they fit the age of their supposed character. The show is genuinely over-dramatic, and in some stances, is popular for mostly younger audiences (middle school-early high school). The characters could decide to take an easier path, to solve a solution, but they always seem to take the complicated route. This show is good for a weekend-binge, but it is not known to be thought-provoking or a “serious” show for that matter.