College for free–that’s a thing?

Duel+enrollment+student%2C+Veronica+Soroka+diligently+works+on+her+college+class+work.+Every+finished+piece+of+class+work%2Fhomework+gets+her+closer+to+a+free+college+credit.++%0APhoto+by+Veronica+Soroka+

Duel enrollment student, Veronica Soroka diligently works on her college class work. Every finished piece of class work/homework gets her closer to a free college credit. Photo by Veronica Soroka

Rachel Sandstrom, Staff Writer

Dual enrollment is a great opportunity for students to get college credits while still in high school. It is only logical to think that students would jump on this chance to get ahead in college without paying the excessive tuition costs and without having to partake in meaningless AP exams. The question that remains is why haven’t more students in previous school years taken up this offer? 

Before this year, dual enrollment was extremely unpopular among high school students. Former dual enrollment student, Hannah Sandstrom shares her experience in the program, “Dual enrollment wasn’t advertised very much. The only reason I found out about it was because my dad mentioned it to me. When I was dual enrolling at Kennesaw State, no one was dual enrolled that I knew of.” 

Conversations, events, and stories get passed around by word of mouth and that is exactly what happened with dual enrollment this year. Most students who dual enroll now would agree that the program was not advertised much through the school but heard more about through conversations with friends and family. Senior dual enrollment student at Kennesaw State University, Aileen Alcantara says, “I don’t think they advertised dual enrollment as much as it should be, dual enrollment is a great program and when I first found out about it from my friends I looked into it and questioned why the school hasn’t mentioned it before.”

Senior dual enrollment student at Georgia State University, Anna Rosca agrees with this statement, “I honestly don’t think it was that advertised. I didn’t really hear much about it from any teachers or staff, I heard about it from friends.”

Once a student hears about this program, they can’t help but share the secret of taking free college classes with their friends. Although most students feel as if dual enrollment is not advertised well enough through the high school, it has gained some momentum through friends telling friends. 

After Aileen Alcantara heard about the program and decided to apply, she appreciated the opportunity even more after experiencing it. She states, “Into my first three weeks of my dual enrollment classes, I found them equally, if not less challenging as a high school course. The professors are different as they appear to be more engaging/entertaining in what they do.” 

Senior dual enrollment student, Veronica Soroka compares dual enrollment classes to her AP classes, “My dual enrollment classes are less stressful than AP classes, but they are still a lot of hours of work but I do believe the benefit of gaining free college credits outweighs the workload.” 

The opportunity of taking dual enrollment classes has benefited so many students and advertising the program needs to become more of a priority at Roswell High School. College is going to be stressful enough, so if dual enrollment can take a couple of core classes off of a freshman’s workload, that will be well worth it.

Taking classes and shoving away extra college credits isn’t the only thing a student has to think about on a day to day basis. If you’re wanting to learn more about what a student has on their plate, check out Maya Shepard’s article on the school-work-life-imbalance. To read the article click here.