Roswell Man Dead After Traumatic Shooting Near Geogia Tech

Statistics of the crime rates from the past two years at Georgia tech according to the website. 

Photo by: Georgia Tech Police Department

Statistics of the crime rates from the past two years at Georgia tech according to the website. Photo by: Georgia Tech Police Department

Gracie Ross

Shots were fired near the Georgia Tech campus on Sunday, August 29th. The shooting took place between police officers at an intersection that was close to campus. This shooting resulted in the death of a 40-year-old man from Roswell after shots were fired by the man and the local police.  

At around 2:42 p.m. the Georgia State Patrol responded to a 911 call at the corner of State Street and Home Park. Officers looked for the man and located him. They found him coming from the opposite direction of the campus. 

The man was later identified as Roswell citizen Bray Bell. Bell was armed with a weapon. He attempted to flee the scene, but GSP troopers prevented him from doing so by boxing him in with police cars.  

When officers first approached the scene, Bell got out of his car and pulled out a gun. He fired a shot and then continued to walk around. The officers were allowed to fire at Bell because he was armed with a dangerous weapon. Bell suffered from intense gunshot wounds and later died at the hospital. 

Investigators saw that Bell was armed and possibly suicidal. Officers stated that Bell did not drop his gun despite several commands to do so, so they shot at him. No officers were injured from the incident.  

Authorities told the students who live at Home Park to stay inside and to remain cautious and aware. 11 alive stated, “The GBI will continue its independent investigation. Once complete, the casefile will be provided to the Fulton County District Attorney for review.” 

Georgia Tech police said the street will continue to stay closed after the incident while they continue to investigate the event. Students who live on State Street are shaken up about the recent occurrence, but officers are telling them to remain aware and stay inside.  

Roswell Student, Madelynne Walker stated, “Crime rates in Georgia are alarming and I believe they need to go down, but they never will if guns are still legal.” 

After this incident occurred, precautions are now being taken and the area is under further investigation, although Bell’s life was lost.