Sting ‘em: Profile on Georgia Tech Softball Commit Reese Hunter

Claire Mulkey, Director of Communication

Georgia Tech commit Reese Hunter, a senior at Roswell High School, does not appear intimidating, but on the softball field, she is a player competitors should fear. She has played softball since she was seven, but she didn’t start out with softball. After watching her older brother Austin, who now plays for Belmont Abbey College, have so much fun with his games, she joined a baseball team. At age seven, she quit baseball and started softball. She also played basketball for a few years in middle school, but softball is her true passion. Now, her dreams are being realized after she committed to play Division 1 softball at the Georgia Institute of Technology, or Georgia Tech. 

Playing college softball is something Hunter has dreamed about for years. She has put in countless hours of work through the years, from perfecting her catching game, playing on travel teams, weight training, hitting lessons, and even 6 a.m. CrossFit classes. One of the major steps she took in the recruiting process was joining elite softball travel team Mojo Fisher, which is ranked #6 in the U.S.

Hunter is always ready make an amazing play! (Credit: Amy Terrell)

Hunter was born in Atlanta on June 11, 2004 and has lived in Georgia all her life. She “loves it here,” so it is fortunate that she will be spending the next four years in the state she loves! Hunter has known for awhile that Georgia Tech was the one for her after many softball camps and visits. She says “it feels like home and is so close to Roswell. I’ve always been a fan of Tech’s softball and academics.” 

Even though Reese Hunter is still at Roswell High, she reps her Georgia Tech gear often. (Credit: Claire Mulkey)

Georgia Tech has followed Hunter throughout her college recruitment process, liking her Tweets and posts, so she has known they were interested her. During the pandemic, the recruiting process was significantly different from previous years. Athletes had to rely on social media, Zoom calls, and virtual tours to see and get seen by coaches and schools. On September 1, 2020, the first day that schools could legally reach out to players, “25 different schools reached out to” her. Hunter says, “That day was the best day I’ve ever had.”

Tech’s Coach Morales was one of the 25 who contacted Hunter on September 1. Hunter didn’t commit to Georgia Tech until November 20, however. She says Morales “let out a huge sigh of relief when I finally committed.” 

Hunter is considering a pre-med track at Tech and is most looking forward to meeting her teammates and playing on such a competitive level. She doesn’t have any major fears about college, but confesses she is “a little afraid I’ll embarrass myself on TV.”

Photo #3 (at Tech ): Hunter has visited Georgia Tech often, since it is so close to her hometown of Roswell! (Credit: Charlette Hunter)

Exciting things are up ahead for Hunter, but high school isn’t over yet! The high school team “got off to a rocky start,” but Hunter thinks they “can make it to state again.” The Hornets are currently 6-9 and “are starting to come together and play like a team.” The girls have bonded so much on and off the field, sitting together in the cafeteria and going to Taco Mac after games. Some of Hunter’s favorite memories with the softball team have been “bus rides to and from different schools” with her teammates, who are some of her best friends. Sophomore softball player Kelsey Wiggins says that Hunter is a great cheerleader for their team and “never fails to make me laugh.” 

“Getting a scholarship isn’t easy,” says Hunter. She has put in the work throughout her softball career to get this opportunity and the softball team will have a huge gap to fill next year. The Hornets know, however, that future yellow jacket Reese Hunter will keep stinging her opponents!