Into A New School Year and Into the Woods For This Year’s Musical 

Gemma Mueller-Hill, Staff Writer

Every year the Roswell Theatre enchants students and teachers alike with the performance of a musical. Last year, the musical of choice was 9 to 5, and it was recently announced that this year they will be performing Into The Woods, which will feature a large cast of actors, crew, and live music!  

The main auditorium (pictured above) is where Into The Woods will be brought to life. (Credit: Gemma Mueller-Hill)

Select band and orchestra members will have the unique opportunity to perform this live music. Returning actress and senior Emma Martin says, “the live music will really add to the live theatre feel we have all missed due to COVID-19.” 

Auditions start on Monday, Sept. 13 and carry on until Friday, Sept. 17. Senior Ainsley Gillespie says, “auditioning for the musical gets you involved in an awesome program at RHS with amazing people.” In order to participate, students must come with a completed information sheet and resume. Day one of auditions requires aspiring cast members to prepare 60 seconds of a song from the show and a 30 second monologue. For day one of auditions, Martin recommends picking multiple songs that display all your musical abilities. Days two and three are vocal callbacks, day four is scene reading and the cast will be revealed by the end of the school day Friday, Sept. 17.  

Jack, a young boy, is the main male protagonist and the three main female protagonist roles that are up for grabs are Little Red Riding Hood, the Baker’s Wife, and Cinderella. Martin says she’s excited for the variety of roles and leads available in the play. 

Buzz and excitement for the musical is steadily increasing as auditions are underway and preparation has begun for the play. Senior Hannah Zdancewicz says, “cast lists come out on Friday and I can’t wait to see who is bring each character to life!” 

Roswell’s Into the Woods has not yet publicized an official date for the performance. However, the annual musical usually takes place during second semester in the school’s auditorium. Students can follow along with audition process and keep informed of dates and important details on the Roswell Theatre’s Instagram, @roswelltheatre. Gillespie says, she “can’t wait to bring this show to life,” and she “knows people of all ages will love it!” 

Click here to read Alli Wiggins’ article about last year’s musical, 9 to 5!