Get Served: How Well Do You Know the Roswell Lunch Ladies?

Sophia Schwartz, Staff Writer

Every day when you are waiting in class, eager for the bell to ring so you can go and enjoy lunch, the Roswell lunch ladies are prepping the food and getting ready for the abundance of students to charge into the cafeteria.

Manager Sharon has worked at Roswell for 10 years and 31 years total. She was promoted to manager since arrival at Roswell. (Credit: Sophia Schwartz)

As students, it is easy to forget the other people who affect us. When you think about who works at schools, you forget to mention the lunch ladies, janitors, maintenance, and policemen.

They all serve us and work hard every day to make the little things stay in order. In this article I want to talk about the amazing lunch ladies here at Roswell who do so much more than we recognize them for.

Denise has worked at Roswell the longest of all the cafeteria workers, for a total of 30 years! She has only worked at Roswell High School and has one child. (Credit: Sophia Schwartz)

First, it’s important to acknowledge what these amazing women do for us. Yes, they make and serve us food, but they do much more than that.

While talking to these wonderful ladies, I learned that they prepare and deliver food to the special needs students here in Roswell.

Pat has a special role delivering food to Roswell’s special needs students and has worked here for 14 years, in addition to two years in Cobb County. (Credit: Sophia Schwartz)

You might see them walking about the halls pushing carts filled with food. They also prepare food for students that go to other schools who need Roswell’s help to have lunch every day.

We students need to appreciate the people at this school more. They are here for us, and we don’t appreciate them enough.

Shahla, a mother of four, has worked at schools for 16 years, including ten years at Roswell. Over her career, she has worked at five different schools. (Credit: Sophia Schwartz)

These amazing ladies don’t have to be here. They have the ability to leave and work wherever they want, and they choose to stay at Roswell.

Learn to appreciate the people that do so much for us.

Ana, a mother of three and grandmother of one, has been employed at Roswell for nine years. (Credit: Sophia Schwartz)

Start by not cutting in line or having your school ID number ready so the line moves faster. The little things you do, like saying ‘hello’ can mean a lot and change a person’s day.

It doesn’t take a lot of effort to be kind to the people that are here for you. 

For more on school lunches, check out Denis’s article on new school lunch policies.