Girls varsity volleyball killing the competition 

Rachel Sandstrom, Staff Writer

Varsity girls volleyball has been playing great throughout their season so far. They are currently 14 and 11 and have high hopes for the rest of the season. With solid leadership from this season’s captains Quincy Morrin (junior), Emma Stokes (junior), Lauren Cederburg (sophomore), and Mia Triveley (senior) the team has been able to come together and play to the best of their abilities. 

The team huddles up before their game against Lambert to discuss strategy. (Credit: Mindy Wilson)

There have been some major accomplishments this season from all the girls but freshman player Lily Erdal talks about some of the major highlights, “Our defense is killer! Our back row players are so good at reading w

here the ball is going.”

Having a strong back row in volleyball is extremely important. The back row players must always be on high alert to be ready when there is an over pass to the setter at the net. The back row players must then step up to keep the ball in play.

The Roswell volleyball girls have this down to a science. Erdal also gives a shout out to the team’s hitters saying it’s amazing to watch them adjust perfectly to what is coming to them.  

They won a recent game 2 to 1 on Sep. 28 against Lambert High School. The game got off to a rocky start with communication lacking. They lost the first set 15-25 but once they found their flow the rest of the game went smoothly.

They came out on top in the second set winning 25-18 and finished off the win with a score of 25-17 in the third set. The girl’s blocks were on point and the back row yet again did an amazing job adjusting to the opposing team’s swings. They ended up working together to rack up another impressive win. 

Family and friends of the senior girls on the team came to celebrate the night with them. Some groups even brought posters to shout out and cheer the girls on throughout the night.

Each senior teammate got to walk across the court with their family members or friends while their accomplishments and names were announced. They even got a beautiful bouquet of flowers.

It was a little bittersweet watching the seniors walk across the court because it truly signified the beginning of the end for them. Although the girls still enjoyed a fantastic night filled with cake and laughter.  

The Dunwoody game on Sep. 30 didn’t go as well as the Lambert game. The girls lost 3 to 1. They took a bit of a beating in the first set losing 19-25. They started to find their groove in the second set but ended up still losing 23-25.

The third set turned around in their favor allowing them to take home a set of 25-23. The girls tried their best the last set but got bested and lost 20-25.  

Their next game is away at River Ridge High School on Tue Oct. 5 starting at 5:00 pm. They have been working hard in practice to win this game.

If you want to know how the girls were doing earlier in the season be sure to check out Drew Maddox’s article on just that.