School is too stressful for Teens

Morandi Lawrence, Staff Writer

The academic pressure students face has been an ongoing issue that continues to get worse as kids get older.

Students at Roswell, Lindsey Griffin and Lily Gruver, take up their extra time to study at Panera instead of doing other activities that need to be done. (Credits: Morandi Lawrence)

With the COVID-19 setback, things only got worse for students, and they struggled even more coming into this school year. The pressure students face is caused by a combination of schoolwork stress and concern for their academic future.

Not only do they have to worry about school, but they must deal with teachers and parents who quite frankly, don’t understand what’s going through their minds. The toll school takes on students is major, and the effect it has on their mental health is alarming.

People everywhere of all ages need to consider the intensity of being a student and how much it affects well-being, on top of all the work we have in our outside lives. For this reason, homework should be optional.  

Since students were at home last year and didn’t learn with all of the COVID-19 restrictions set in place, they’ve lost most of their motivation to put effort into their work.

On top of not learning properly last year, school systems all over the world are trying to get back to normal. This comes with the challenges of students adjusting to sports, work, hobbies, and other extracurricular activities.

For example, after interviewing a student at Roswell, it was clear to me that we all struggle with school interfering with our normal lives and mental health. Jency Flores is a 16-year-old junior at Roswell.

I asked her what her schedule was on a Thursday and she said, “I get up at around 6:00 a.m. to take my dog out for a bit, then I pack my lacrosse bag, lunch bag, and anything else I need for school. Then I get ready and leave my house at around 7:10 a.m. I’ve been struggling with Algebra, so I went to a help session until the bell rang and proceeded with my school day. I had two tests and an FRQ. After school, I had lacrosse practice until about 5:50 p.m. and then I went home to shower. Then I took my dog out and did homework for about three hours and went to bed at 11:40 p.m.”

Interviewing her I could relate; she has a very exhausting school day and other extracurriculars, juggling school, and normal life is a lot. 

I know many students that go to therapy because of the stress of school and their deteriorating mental health on top of that. Students already deal with so much going on in their lives so why should we have homework on top of that? 

I think schools should make homework optional because the students know where they are in their class and if they need any extra help, they can do it, but if they are ok in the subject, it shouldn’t be something added on to our to-do lists. 

The most educated school in the world doesn’t even have homework and they are smarter than everyone else. “The truth is that there is nearly no homework in the country with one of the top education systems in the world.”

Lily Gruver, a junior at Roswell, says, “School stresses me out and doesn’t allow me to work on myself. It has a serious impact on my mental health as well because it distracts me from other issues in my everyday life, and it all just kind of comes up at once.” 

Lindsey Griffin, a sophomore at Roswell, says, “Coming into sophomore year after my first year of high school being online was a lot to take in, I feel like having a lot of schoolwork drains my motivation because assignments can get stacked up super fast and I just feel hopeless and behind.”