How students feel about their recent ACT/SAT scores and if they believe the tests should remain optional

Senior Hornets took on the prolonged test in hopes of receiving the best scores possible. Photo by Noah Goulbourne

Noah Goulbourne, Editor - Sports Page

On Wednesday, Oct. 13, Roswell High School hosted an SAT Day from 8 a.m. to 12 p.m., providing seniors the opportunity to take the test and possibly submit their test scores to their desired colleges. Starting in 2020, schools across the nation became test optional due to COVID-19 and students were given the choice on whether they wanted to submit their scores or not. For some students, the choice is easy, as the SAT just represents another task to complete in order to further their college applications. Others receive their scores and decide to retake or not to submit at all. Not submitting does not harm your chances of getting into certain schools. If a student decides to do test optional, colleges will focus on the other main points of your academic career. These include GPA, essay, activities, and course load. This process can become extremely stressful for students who want to attend a college in Georgia since they’re not a test-optional state. 

When asked about his SAT experience at Roswell, senior Ramon Rojas-Gomez says, “I felt as if the SAT should have revolved around recent math subjects that we have learned because who would have known to study for things we learned during our freshman year. This time around, I don’t plan to submit my scores. I strongly believe that the SAT should remain optional as it does not reflect on how good of a student you actually are.” 

Senior Joshua Eberhardt states, “My SAT experience was full of boring reading passages and terribly worded math problems. Also, the test should always be optional because a four hour test should not be able to dictate where you get into college.”

Although RHS has not stated whether they will host a day for the SAT again, you can always register on College Board to find a different location. College Board also provides you with your test scores, and sends your scores to any necessary schools. To register for the SAT, click here.