Have No Fear, HoPe is Here!

HoPe’s official logo is posted around the school and social media. Dr. Shaw regularly makes announcements about the club’s activities. Picture by @roswellhope

Claire Mulkey, Director of Communications

HoPe, Roswell’s newest club, which was started this semester, stands for Hispanic Organization Promoting Education and is dedicated to the advancement and support of Hispanic students. The organization has already hosted multiple meetings and over five volunteer and service events. There are around 30 members, but the numbers are climbing everyday. Officer positions were given to those who showed the most initiative in the club. Senior Brianda Gonzalez was chosen as president, senior Aileen Alcantara as vice president of service, senior Madison Smith as vice president of communications, and senior Emily Vega as vice president of development. They are the four students that started the club and now have younger students, called apprentices, who shadow them and lead the organization next year. The club hosts two sponsors, Ms. Gorman and Ms. Romero. The HoPe club is a much-appreciated, much-anticipated addition to Roswell’s extensive list of clubs, teams, and activities. 

President Gonzalez felt there was a great need for this organization at Roswell High School, because she felt there needed to be a “supportive atmosphere for students that feel they lack academic and emotional resources.” She hopes to build confidence in the students, helping them to see how “capable and incredible” they are. Gonzalez also says she wants to eliminate limitations students may believe they have because of personal reasons. The best part of the club for Gonzalez is how close the students have grown. She compares their bond to that of a “family” that can be “vulnerable with each other and joke around.” 

HoPe’s official Instagram, @roswellhope, posts inspirational quotes for their followers and members.Picture by @roswellhope

Vice President Alcantara learned about the club from cousins and friends at other schools. After hearing about their success with HoPe, she wanted to start a Roswell High School chapter. Scholarships, mentors, and college admissions information were the things that drew her to the club, as well as the chance to “connect and relate with other students who may be first generation students graduating high school.” Now that the club has been established at Roswell, her biggest goal is to “change the status quo of underrepresentation of minorities” and help them “become more involved with their academics and extracurriculars” and “pursue higher education.”

Though only in its fourth month at Roswell, the club has already impacted the community. In August, HoPe hosted a clean-up of Azalea Park, which is a city park along the Chattahoochee. In September, they cleaned another of the riverside parks. In October, there were five service projects alone, including helping at the Duck Race at Riverside Park, Girls’ Night at Roswell North Elementary, Roswell’s International Night, and a “Candy Crush” project where letters and goody bags were delivered to students at Roswell. The organization also held a Your Pie fundraising night on Oct. 5. Alcantara says she is excited for even more exciting service projects and fundraisers that are coming up, as well as the club’s increasing number of members!

If students would like to join the club, they can follow @roswellhope on Instagram. Vice President of Communications Smith says “Nov. 18 is the next member meeting,” while the next “officer meeting…is Nov. 15.” 

HoPe was not created just for success at Roswell High School, but for success after graduation. Alcantara says, “If you’re someone dealing with any type of personal issues at home or at school…we can create a support system…and give you advice to continue achieving success outside of high school.” 

Click here to read about another Roswell High School club.